Old August 30th 07, 01:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I format an Excel sheet to create a ratio as in 1:25 ??

when doing calculations I want the answer toi come out as a ratio 1: 25
rather than just 25 - I have found a way of doing that by adding the 1: as
text within inverted commas - but it won't allow a rounding.

Does anyone know another way of doing this pls??

Old August 30th 07, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 30 Aug, 13:08, Fizz Richardson
wrote:
when doing calculations I want the answer toi come out as a ratio 1: 25
rather than just 25 - I have found a way of doing that by adding the 1: as
text within inverted commas - but it won't allow a rounding.

Does anyone know another way of doing this pls??

Hi Fizz,

This isn't the whole answer, but it might help.....

If you type the ratio into the cell as a fraction (eg for 1:25 type it
as 0 1/25) it will appear as a fraction format, 1/25. Similarly your
ratio can be typed into a fraction-formatted cell as a decimal (eg 0.5
will appear a 1/2).

I say it's only half an answer since I can't yet see a way to use the
":" separator instead of the "/" - but I'm sure one of the experts
here might be able to find a way to do that, if it exists.

HTH

Phil

Old August 30th 07, 03:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have a number of 24.8, and format the call as "1:"0 , then it will
display as 1:25.
If you wanted it in a different cell, you can use the formula
="1:"&TEXT(A1,0) to produce a text string.
--
David Biddulph

"Fizz Richardson" wrote in
message ...

Old August 31st 07, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David
ths for that - as I said I have found that I can use the inverted commas to
force the colon - but it can't then round the answer so somewhere I was
hoping that there might be another way of getting te same effect.

Old August 31st 07, 12:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ths - you can force the colon to show by making Excel think that it's text
(put inverted comas either side) but this doesn't quite do what I want. But
thnks for the suggestions.

Old August 31st 07, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to round the number, rather than merely display it rounded, you
can use the ROUND function and then format as discussed below. Another
option is to use Tools/ Options/ Calculation: Precision as displayed, and
then the rounding in the display will be carried into the stored number.