Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hyperlink to a folder?

Excel hyperlinks are presumed to be aimed at other Excel files. How can I
create a hyperlink in a cell, that takes the user to a project folder (so
that clicking the link opens the folder in a standard Windows Explorer
window)?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, anonymous !

Excel hyperlinks are presumed to be aimed at other Excel files.
How can I create a hyperlink in a cell, that takes the user to a project folder
(so that clicking the link opens the folder in a standard Windows Explorer window)?

try with *a project folder* path in *a cell*
- ie. A1: c:\documents and settings\my profile\special project folder

and use hyperlink worksheet function in some other cell
- ie. =hyperlink("file:////"&a1,"Jump to folder in A1")

hth,
hector.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Interesting approach! I had trouble with your syntax, at first. Then after
more experimenting it turned out that the problem was with how I was
specifying the path to the folder. The way I had been obtaining the path,
was to Get Properties on the desired target folder, then copy the path to the
clipboard, and paste it into the hyperlink syntax. That path began with a
mapped drive letter.

Then I tried again within Excel, the usual way, 'insert hyperlink' ...but
this time I carefully navigated all the way back to the top level of our
network, then down to the root of our server, then down to the desired
folder. With this approach, the hyperlink worked directly from within the
spreadsheet cell.

It appears that my original assumption (that you can't make hyperlinks from
Excel cells to target folders) was incorrect.

hi, anonymous !