Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I access customer information easily on XL?

I have a customer column with many differant names on it. I have all of their
information but no time to look them up individually. Is there any way I can
make a database to where every time I click a name on my spreadsheet that
their information will pop up on excel every time I need it? (email phone
numbers addresses etc.)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look in Excel Help for VLOOKUP. I think that's going to be the solution for
you. Hopefully in your table of information, the customer's name is in the
left-most column, that makes VLOOKUP() based on their name very easy.

Example: on your sheet with the customer information you have names in
column A, street address in B, City in C, State in D, zip in E and phone # in
F. They are using rows 2 through 104 on that sheet.

Over where you need the information, you could set a 'name entry' cell that
could be a list with the names in the data table as the source of the list,
then select the name. Lets say that cell is A1. In other cells where you
need related information, you would have formulas similar to this:
to pick up the street address
=VLOOKUP($A$1,'table sheet'!$A$2:$F$104,2,0)
where table sheet is the name of the sheet with the data table in it. The
$A$1 says what to try to match in the first column of the table, the 'table
sheet'!$A$2:$F$104 tells where the table is, the ,2, says to get information
from the 2nd column of the table when a match is made in the 1st column, and
the ,0 at the end says that the names don't have to be in order and an exact
match must be made.

If your cell with the list of names is on a different sheet than the data
table (which I assumed it would be earlier), and you want to have a list of
names to choose from in that cell based on the names in the list, you'll have
to give the list of names a Name and set up data validation using that. If
you want to give that a try also, post back and we can help set that up for
you.