Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel as data entry form?

Please excuse the crosspost, but I'm using Internet Explorer to post this and
cannot figure out how to multi-post.

I have a need to collect some information from a wide variety of sources
throughout my internationally dispersed organization. I cannot use an
internet based questionnaire because of the sensitivity of the information
(can encrypt the Excel file), and don't want to hassle with the email
problems associated with distributing an Access database. However, I will
ultimately need to pull this data into an Access database.

My boss does not want to actually use a "spreadsheet" view within Excel to
enter the data, he wants to have Form like look and feel as the first page of
the spreadsheet. Anybody have any ideas for using Excel and Access in this
way?

--
Email address is not valid.
Please reply to newsgroup only.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You haven't cross-posted, so if you've done anything you've multiposted.

IE is not the right tool to post to newsgroups.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...ups/howto.mspx will tell
you how to set up OE to access newsgroups via the microsoft news server (or
news://msnews.microsoft.com/ may get you straight to the server), but of
course there are other servers and other newsreading software available.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/posting.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...s.htm#xlgroups may also help you.
--
David Biddulph

"Dale Fye" wrote in message
Please excuse the crosspost, but I'm using Internet Explorer to post this
and
cannot figure out how to multi-post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

About data entry forms

Microsoft Excel provides the following types of forms to help you enter data
in a worksheet range.

Data forms

Excel can generate a built-in data form (data form: A dialog box that
displays one complete record at a time. You can use data forms to add,
change, locate, and delete records.) for your range. The data form displays
all of your column labels in a single dialog box, with a blank space beside
each label for you to fill in data for the column. You can enter new data,
find rows based on cell contents, update existing data, and delete rows from
the range.

Use a data form when a simple form listing the columns is sufficient and you
don't need more sophisticated or custom features. A data form can make data
entry easier than typing across the columns when you have a wide range with
more columns than will fit on the screen at one time.

Worksheet forms

If you need a sophisticated or specialized data entry form, you can create a
worksheet or template (template: A workbook that you create and use as the
basis for other similar workbooks. You can create templates for workbooks and
worksheets. The default template for workbooks is called Book.xlt. The
default template for worksheets is called Sheet.xlt.) to use as a form and
then customize the worksheet form to meet your needs. For example, you might
create an expense report form for people to fill out online or in printed
form.

Use this method when you want complete flexibility to customize your form.
Worksheet forms are particularly useful when you want individual printable
copies of your forms. You can develop a data entry application using the
Microsoft Visual Basic Editor (Microsoft Visual Basic Editor: An environment
in which you can edit macros that you've recorded and write new macros and
Visual Basic for Applications programs.) to keep the data from the forms in
an Excel range.

Important:

Please to the topic " Add, edit, find, and delete rows by using a data form"
in the online help

Challa Prabhu

"Dale Fye" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use OE at home, but for security reasons, my office has blocked OE usage with
newsgroups, so to get to these groups and get answers to questions during the
work day, I am stuck with the IE (web based) options. It generally works
well, but when you want to post to multiple groups with a single thread, it
is difficult to say the least.

Thanks anyway.
--

"Dale Fye" wrote in message
Please excuse the crosspost, but I'm using Internet Explorer to post this
and
cannot figure out how to multi-post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wouldn't recommend Google Groups as a prime means of accessing newsgroups,
but it does allow cross-posting.
Under the "To newsgroups:" box it says "(Separate multiple groups with
commas)", and there is also an option link for setting follow-ups.
--
David Biddulph

"Dale Fye" wrote in message
Please excuse the crosspost, but I'm using Internet Explorer to post
this
and
cannot figure out how to multi-post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks.

I normally work in Access, but am unable to use that for this application,
so I have decided to create a userform for my data entry purposes. I looked
at the Excel "data forms", but the limit of one line of visible text was not
sufficient for my needs.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Dale