Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Froms

I'm not very familiar with functions, but I've really made an effort to learn
by myself. Five hours later and I'm certain that I need help.

I need to create a drop-down list that will automatically generate the
figures related to the selection made. Meaning, in a drop down list of 20
items, clicking on "Item 1" should automatically bring up (in a different
cell) the numbers corresponding with "Item 1".

I'd much appreciate some help with this.

--
Spreadsheets, spreadsheets, spreadsheets.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What do you mean by "the numbers corresponding with item1"?
You will need to set up a table listing the items and their corresponding
values
For example, to set up your table use columns C and D
C D
Item 1 Item1 Assoc
Item 2 Item2 Assoc
Item 3 Item3 Assoc

Now, if your drop down list is in column A you could paste this formula in
column B

=VLOOKUP(A1,C:D,2,FALSE)

Paste the formula down the column

"Frieda" wrote:

I'm not very familiar with functions, but I've really made an effort to learn
by myself. Five hours later and I'm certain that I need help.

I need to create a drop-down list that will automatically generate the
figures related to the selection made. Meaning, in a drop down list of 20
items, clicking on "Item 1" should automatically bring up (in a different
cell) the numbers corresponding with "Item 1".

I'd much appreciate some help with this.

--
Spreadsheets, spreadsheets, spreadsheets.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By drop-down, do you mean you used Data | Validation to create the list
you're selecting from?

If so, after you've made the choice, the cell contains the value you
selected. You can then, most likely, use VLOOKUP() to find the values
related to it. Check out Excel Help on VLOOKUP()

Lets say the result of your selection from the drop-down is in cell A1.
Elsewhere you have a table (can be on another sheet in the workbook even).
The first (left-most) column of that table has entries that correspond to
your selection list. That table is on a sheet named Sheet2 and it starts at
G1 and goes across and down to K20, with each column having some value
related to whatever is in column G.

A formula like
=VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet2'!G1:K20,5,0)
(formula being on same sheet with the drop-down list in A1) would return
what ever value is on a row in your table where the value in column G matches
the choice you made that's showing in A1 - but it will retrieve it from the
5th column of that table: G, H, I, J, K -- K is the 5th column. If A1
matches what's in G5 of the table, then you'll get back the value in K5.
That last ,0) in the formula pretty much says that your items in column G
don't have to be in any particular order and to look for an exact match there
with what's in A1.

Hope this helps a bit.