Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I use letters to link instead of numbers

I am trying to link a cell for example in sheet 2 to a cell in sheet 1 using
yes and no, so if i input a yes in the cell on sheet 2 nothing is put on
sheet 1, however if i input a no then a word or sentence is input into the
cell on sheet 1. Also can I link 3 different cells on sheet 2 ie cell 1 is
correct so i input yes, cell 2 is incorrect so i input a no, cell 3 is
correct so i input a yes, then in 1 cell on sheet 1 the word or sentence is
input
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Colin,

Link cells can be done in this way

=IF(Sheet2!A1="Yes","","A Sentence")

This formula would be in a cell on Sheet 1 and if Sheet2 A1 is Yes then it
does nothing, if it is different than Yes then it displays "A sentence".

Mike

"colin" wrote:

I am trying to link a cell for example in sheet 2 to a cell in sheet 1 using
yes and no, so if i input a yes in the cell on sheet 2 nothing is put on
sheet 1, however if i input a no then a word or sentence is input into the
cell on sheet 1. Also can I link 3 different cells on sheet 2 ie cell 1 is
correct so i input yes, cell 2 is incorrect so i input a no, cell 3 is
correct so i input a yes, then in 1 cell on sheet 1 the word or sentence is
input

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First part.........................

=IF(Sheet1!A1<"no","","this is a sentence")

Not sure what you need for second part.

Might help if you use actual cell references rather than Cell 1 and Cell 2 etc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 02:46:04 -0700, colin
wrote:

I am trying to link a cell for example in sheet 2 to a cell in sheet 1 using
yes and no, so if i input a yes in the cell on sheet 2 nothing is put on
sheet 1, however if i input a no then a word or sentence is input into the
cell on sheet 1. Also can I link 3 different cells on sheet 2 ie cell 1 is
correct so i input yes, cell 2 is incorrect so i input a no, cell 3 is
correct so i input a yes, then in 1 cell on sheet 1 the word or sentence is
input

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

mike

Thanks for the input, it sorted out part of the problem easily,

Now for the next part....
sheet 2 cell a1 reads insulation fitted, cell a2 lid, cell a3 blank, cell a4
tank, cell a5 blank.... now if i input a yes into cell a3 then nothing is
input onto sheet 1, however if I then put a no in cell a5 then install
insulation is inserted into sheet 1....
i need to mix and match the cells so that if both cells read yes then
nothing is input onto sheet 1 however if any one of the cells read no then
the sentence is required on sheet 1.

thanks