Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sumif formula doesn't add up

What am I missing?

I have this formula in C28:
=SUMIF($H:$H,$H27,C:C)

c12.value = 308
c13.value = 243
c14.value = 234
c15.value =275
I'm getting 1126 in c28 instead of 1060
The total should be 1060. I do run a macro but it removes the totals and
adds them back in. The formula should work.

The other columns total up. What exactly is the sumif doing?

tia,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're correct, the total should be 1060. Either there is more data in
column C that you're not noticing, or your macro has some influence?

While your formula does work in this instance, it is rather odd to place a
formula in Column C that sums the entire Column C. This creates the
potential for a circular reference, and unless that is desired, should
probably be avoided.

What happens if you change your cell ranges to encompass only the data that
you want to include? For example:

=SUMIF($H12:$H15,$H27,C12:C15)

If this fixes it, then you've probably got additional data in Column C
somewhere that was being included. If its still wrong, then I'd suspect the
macro.

HTH,
Elkar

"Janis" wrote:

What am I missing?

I have this formula in C28:
=SUMIF($H:$H,$H27,C:C)

c12.value = 308
c13.value = 243
c14.value = 234
c15.value =275
I'm getting 1126 in c28 instead of 1060
The total should be 1060. I do run a macro but it removes the totals and
adds them back in. The formula should work.

The other columns total up. What exactly is the sumif doing?

tia,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think this is the answer. THe reason it has the entire c column is the
macro divides it up into ranges for sub-totals. I will check and see how it
is doing this. Still doesn't explain why all the other sub-total ranges in c
are totaled correctly.