Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help on on managing information on merged cells

Hi all,
This may be the simplest query you might have ever seen.
In the work sheet I have merged some cells and put some text
information
on the same. When ever this particular cell is clicked the text
information is displayed in the cell area as well as the formula bar.
I want the text to be visible only in side the worksheet(Meaning in
the merged cell area) not tin the formula bar . What can I do?
displaying it on both doesn't look nice and it hides some other
information on other cells also.
Hope I will get a solution from you...
Regards,
PVS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cell(s) that you want to hide content/formulas of from showing in
the formula bar and go to
Format | Cells and click the [Protection] tab. Check the box next to
"Hidden". Then go back to the sheet and choose Tools | Protection | Protect
sheet. You don't need to enter a password, leave it blank (easier to
remember because you don't have one to remember).

Here's the catch: those cells on the sheet (all of them by default) who show
up as Locked on that Format | Cells | [Protection] tab cannot be typed into
now. So you have to back up a step and rethink things:

Use Tools | Protection | Unprotect sheet to be able to change the Locked and
Hidden status of cells. If you want to keep things hidden from the formula
bar, but want the sheet to otherwise act normal, select all of the cells
(Ctrl+A will do that) and then use Format | Cells and clear the Locked
checkbox, and make sure the Hidden checkbox has a solid checkmark in it. Now
when you use Tools | Protection | Protect also check all of the options in
the "allow" list for the sheet sheet, it'll pretty much act like a normal
sheet, except no display of content in the formula bar.

But that's an unusual use of sheet protection. Typically you only unlock
the cells you want to allow your users to make entries into, although you can
keep all hidden:
With an unprotected sheet:
First choose all cells and go check the Hidden box (and the Locked box).
Then return to the sheet and select just those cells where you want to allow
user interaction and return to Format | Cells [Protection] and uncheck the
Locked box. Then protect the sheet again, but with pretty much all of the
sheet options clear except for Select Unlocked cells and perhaps Select
Locked cells.

"SPV" wrote:

Hi all,
This may be the simplest query you might have ever seen.
In the work sheet I have merged some cells and put some text
information
on the same. When ever this particular cell is clicked the text
information is displayed in the cell area as well as the formula bar.
I want the text to be visible only in side the worksheet(Meaning in
the merged cell area) not tin the formula bar . What can I do?
displaying it on both doesn't look nice and it hides some other
information on other cells also.
Hope I will get a solution from you...
Regards,
PVS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In . com, SPV
spake thusly:

I want the text to be visible only in side the worksheet(Meaning
in the merged cell area) not tin the formula bar . What can I do?

Turn off the Formula Bar?

View / uncheck Formula Bar

=dman=

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another option would be, either via a reference to another
cell where the long text is safely out of the way, or via the
a named "range" to store the text, to have something short in
the cell that's visible in the formula bar.

E.g., on another -- perhaps hidden -- sheet, have your long text
entered. Then, in the cell you're worried about --

='other sheet'!A1

or whatever.

=dman=