Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you combine tables (represent a "join") in Excel?

I usually take my Excel spreadsheets into Access to perform this task, then
bring them back to Excel. It would save me some time if it can be done in
Excel.

I have two tables. Table A has 5 columns & table B has 3. Both tables
contain a column with similiar info. I want to make a new table that contains
all columns from both tables. Following is an example of what I'm trying to
do. I am not actually dealing with this type of data, but thought it would be
easier to explain using this scenario.

Table A: Name, Address, DOB, SS#
Table B: Name, Child's Name, Phone#
New Table: Name, Address, DOB, SS#, Name, Status, Phone#
(FYI - the new table should contain every record from Table A, but only
those records from Table B where the "Names" match.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Agreed that VLOOKUP will help you but keep in mind that Excel is not a
relational database program and so any "join" you create isn't really
a join, as properly understood, and that the VLOOKUP formula (the
join) can easily become corrupted if the data in either table are
manipulated.

You can, however, use Excel's "Get external data" tool to design a SQL
query, using the two separate Excel tables much in the manner that you
would use an Access database.

Dave

"Chunka" wrote:
I usually take my Excel spreadsheets into Access to perform this task, then
bring them back to Excel. It would save me some time if it can be done in
Excel.

I have two tables. Table A has 5 columns & table B has 3. Both tables
contain a column with similiar info. I want to make a new table that contains
all columns from both tables. Following is an example of what I'm trying to
do. I am not actually dealing with this type of data, but thought it would be
easier to explain using this scenario.

Table A: Name, Address, DOB, SS#
Table B: Name, Child's Name, Phone#
New Table: Name, Address, DOB, SS#, Name, Status, Phone#
(FYI - the new table should contain every record from Table A, but only
those records from Table B where the "Names" match.)- Hide quoted text -