Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Solution for nonlinear set of equations

I have a set of nonlinear polynomial equations with 3 unknowns. Can SOLVER be
used to solve for the unknowns? Any help is appreciated. I have never used
SOLVER before.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Peter,

Maybe one of these may help.
http://j-walk.com/ss///excel/tips/tip101.htm

HTH
Martin

"Peter M" wrote in message
I have a set of nonlinear polynomial equations with 3 unknowns. Can SOLVER
be
used to solve for the unknowns? Any help is appreciated. I have never used
SOLVER before.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Martin-

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if this would help though. Wgat I need is a
solution to system of 3 simultaneous nonlinear equations.

Peter

"Peter M" wrote in message
I have a set of nonlinear polynomial equations with 3 unknowns. Can SOLVER
be
used to solve for the unknowns? Any help is appreciated. I have never used
SOLVER before.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are trying to determine the coefficients for a polynomial fit, then
the equations are linear in the unknown coefficients. Those polynomial
coefficients are easily calcualted by LINEST, as illustrated in MartinW's
link. Perhaps you would find
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
easier to follow?

If you are trying to solve equations that are actually nonlinear in the
unknowns, then you sould say more about what those equations are.

Jerry