Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locking Cell dependent on Another Cell Value

I've used Data Validation on cell B1 (allow=custom/formula =A10) for my
application to allow entry on B1, however I also need to ensure the allowed
data entry on B1 is a decimal value.

Is there something I can add in the data validation to ensure a decimal
value entry?

Pls help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey, Ur Q is not proper, if u want only decimal validation u can select
Deceimal from Data Validation - Allow column.
if you r looking something else, pls clear ur Q

"el zorro" wrote:

I've used Data Validation on cell B1 (allow=custom/formula =A10) for my
application to allow entry on B1, however I also need to ensure the allowed
data entry on B1 is a decimal value.

Is there something I can add in the data validation to ensure a decimal
value entry?

Pls help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure if I phrase my original question properly.

I have cell A1 and B1. B1 entry is dependent upon entry on A1. Data
Validation is defined in B1.

a) If A1 is populated with an entry of greater than 0 then I want B1 locked
out (no entry is possible).
b) However, if A1 is = or < 0 then I want B1 populated with a numeric entry
in decimal value.

I'm able to do a) based on my Data Validation entry below but not b).
Is there something in the "Formula" that I can use to satisfy b) also?

Thanks.

"el zorro" wrote:

I've used Data Validation on cell B1 (allow=custom/formula =A10) for my
application to allow entry on B1, however I also need to ensure the allowed
data entry on B1 is a decimal value.

Is there something I can add in the data validation to ensure a decimal
value entry?

Pls help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this one in the "Formula":

=AND(A10,INT(B1)<B1)
this will check A1 is 0 and B1 is entered decimal value.
or

=AND(A10,B10)
this will check both cell is decimal value

please do rate

"el zorro" wrote:

I've used Data Validation on cell B1 (allow=custom/formula =A10) for my
application to allow entry on B1, however I also need to ensure the allowed
data entry on B1 is a decimal value.

Is there something I can add in the data validation to ensure a decimal
value entry?

Pls help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Muhammed,

The formula works individually but not with the "AND".

=A10 works ok by itself in the formula box
=INT(B1)<B1 works ok by itself in the formula box
=B10 works ok by itself in the formula box

But they don't work when combined using the "AND" function.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for you patience.

"el zorro" wrote:

I've used Data Validation on cell B1 (allow=custom/formula =A10) for my
application to allow entry on B1, however I also need to ensure the allowed
data entry on B1 is a decimal value.

Is there something I can add in the data validation to ensure a decimal
value entry?

Pls help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Its working for me, u just copy
=AND(A10,INT(B1)<B1)
and paste to "Confitional formatting formula area

"el zorro" wrote:

I've used Data Validation on cell B1 (allow=custom/formula =A10) for my
application to allow entry on B1, however I also need to ensure the allowed
data entry on B1 is a decimal value.

Is there something I can add in the data validation to ensure a decimal
value entry?

Pls help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your second message you said B1 should be locked if A10. If that's
what you want, then this data validation should work in cell B1:

=AND(A1<=0,INT(B1)<B1)

You may also want to remove the check mark for Ignore Blank, or you'll
be able to enter anything in cell B1 if A1 is blank.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures