Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protecting an Excel document on a Shared Drive

We have a Shared Drive here in my office (training department for a local
healthcare system.) I have a Room Reservation calendar on the Shared Drive
for everyone to view. When opened, a prompt "Do you want to open as
Read-only" pops up. When I open it, I tell it "No" so that I can make
changes. However, I do not want anyone else in the department to be able to
make changes.

Our Computer Instructor and I tried figuring out now to protect it to where
I am the only one who can make changes, even with it being on the Shared
Drive, but are having trouble. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there anyway to lock the cells so that they can't even type anything? I
just played around with your recommendation and it is what I'm looking for;
however, I could make changes and save a Copy of it, and I don't want them to
be able to do that.

Thanks so much for your help thus far.

lildarlin82 wrote:

We have a Shared Drive here in my office (training department for a local
healthcare system.) I have a Room Reservation calendar on the Shared Drive
for everyone to view. When opened, a prompt "Do you want to open as
Read-only" pops up. When I open it, I tell it "No" so that I can make
changes. However, I do not want anyone else in the department to be able to
make changes.

Our Computer Instructor and I tried figuring out now to protect it to where
I am the only one who can make changes, even with it being on the Shared
Drive, but are having trouble. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is exactly what i am looking for however, when i go to Tools, Protect
and i go into the document to click on one of my buttons i get an error. Am i
doing something wrong?
--
Thank you, Brenda

"Bob I" wrote:

Click Tools, Protect

lildarlin82 wrote:

We have a Shared Drive here in my office (training department for a local
healthcare system.) I have a Room Reservation calendar on the Shared Drive
for everyone to view. When opened, a prompt "Do you want to open as
Read-only" pops up. When I open it, I tell it "No" so that I can make
changes. However, I do not want anyone else in the department to be able to
make changes.

Our Computer Instructor and I tried figuring out now to protect it to where
I am the only one who can make changes, even with it being on the Shared
Drive, but are having trouble. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't say what the error is. Generally that will give some clue as
to where the issue lies. You perhaps have made it a "shared workbook"?
If so that is not needed, because you aren't going to allow any one to
make changes.