Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spellcheck plus Locking

I have a spreadsheet where I want to lock certain cells with formulas. On
the cells that users enter they want to use spellchecker. If I lock the
cells and spreadsheet, then Spellchecker is not available to use -- is there
a way to Lock and Spellcheck?

thanks Joyce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using a macro is the only work around that I know of.

Sub Spell_Check()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
Cells.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme", DrawingObjects:=True, _
Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
End Sub

Unprotects the sheet, does the spellcheck then reprotects the sheet.

"justme" can be changed to your password.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:18:03 -0700, jfitzpat
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I want to lock certain cells with formulas. On
the cells that users enter they want to use spellchecker. If I lock the
cells and spreadsheet, then Spellchecker is not available to use -- is there
a way to Lock and Spellcheck?

thanks Joyce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the reply -- this worked (I am only an excel novice so pretty
good work for me). New question: the spellchecker is checking all the
cell Notes in the spreadsheet which are full of acronyms -- is it possible to
exclude the cell Notes or spellcheck this file with a file specific
dictionary? I send this file out to other users and they only need to spell
check what they enter not the cell notes already there.

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I want to lock certain cells with formulas. On
the cells that users enter they want to use spellchecker. If I lock the
cells and spreadsheet, then Spellchecker is not available to use -- is there
a way to Lock and Spellcheck?

thanks Joyce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cells.checkspelling will check cells and cell notes(comments)

As far as specifying a dictionary goes, if the acronyms are in your CUSTOM.DIC
they will not be flagged.

You could make a myown.dic using Notepad with the acronyms and call it thusly

Cells.CheckSpelling "myown.dic", SpellLang:=1033

That would look in myown.dic as well as the regular Office dictionary

Each user would have to have myown.dic on their computer.

Gord