Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I allow a multiple selection from a dropdown?

How do I allow a multiple selection from a dropdown?
I know how to create a list / dropdown with multiple options but now the
question is - how can I choose more than one option?? I know that usually it
works by pressing CTR, scrolling down the list and choosing mulitple options.
But how do I apply it to the Excel worksheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have a Data Validation list with items: apple, pear, peach, plum
You want the user to be able to select more than one in a single cell: apple
peach ?
Not possible or did I misunderstand the question?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Monica" wrote in message
How do I allow a multiple selection from a dropdown?
I know how to create a list / dropdown with multiple options but now the
question is - how can I choose more than one option?? I know that usually
it
works by pressing CTR, scrolling down the list and choosing mulitple
options.
But how do I apply it to the Excel worksheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Monica

See Debra Dalgleish's site for a sample workbook showing how to select multiple
entries from a DV list dropdown.

http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

DV0017 - Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List-- Select multiple items from a
dropdown list; an event macro stores selections in adjacent cell, or in same
cell. DataValMultiSelect.zip 18kb updated 22-Feb-07

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Monica" wrote in message
How do I allow a multiple selection from a dropdown?
I know how to create a list / dropdown with multiple options but now the
question is - how can I choose more than one option?? I know that usually
it
works by pressing CTR, scrolling down the list and choosing mulitple
options.
But how do I apply it to the Excel worksheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank You very much for that link - it's excellent!
I have my dropdown working now. The only problem is that the code applies to
one column only. I tried to change the code but it does not allow me to. Is
that because the workbook is protected?
Could you help me to change the code so that it could be applied to more
than one column in the worksheet please?

Best Regards!

"Monica" wrote in message
How do I allow a multiple selection from a dropdown?
I know how to create a list / dropdown with multiple options but now the
question is - how can I choose more than one option?? I know that usually
it
works by pressing CTR, scrolling down the list and choosing mulitple
options.
But how do I apply it to the Excel worksheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can change the Target.Column line in the code.

If Target.Column < 27 Then

Will now work on any DV list in Columns A:Z

If need more specific column range, post back.

Gord

"Monica" wrote in message
How do I allow a multiple selection from a dropdown?
I know how to create a list / dropdown with multiple options but now the
question is - how can I choose more than one option?? I know that usually
it
works by pressing CTR, scrolling down the list and choosing mulitple
options.
But how do I apply it to the Excel worksheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List

the linked example does not really answer the ? being asked. How can you select multiple items from the list like a multiselect listbox in ms access?
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default doh

ah ok you needd to use forms :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default forms?

are forms the best way to go? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use a listbox from the Forms toolbar on a worksheet.
Or you could use a listbox from the Control Toolbox toolbar on a worksheet.

In either case, you'd need code to get the selected items from the listbox and
into a range on a worksheet.

Or you could use a userform.

Depends on what you want to do.

blad3runn69 wrote:

the linked example does not really answer the ? being asked. How can you select multiple items from the list like a multiselect listbox in ms access?
thanks

--

Dave Peterson