Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to calculate Pasted HTML

Does anyone else do this but me? I am pasting HTML perfectly fine into Excel
but the numbers being pasted cannot be calculated. It's almost as if they are
being pasted in some weird format. The format says general but it isn't
acting like a general format. If you have the answer it would be greatly
appreciated.
--
David P.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you paste HTML into Excel you often get other characters like the
non-breaking space (character 160) in among the digits. Consequently,
Excel will treat the cell as containing text, rather than numbers. You
can do Edit/Replace (CTRL-H) with the cells highlighted, and in the
Find What panel type ALT-0160 (hold down the Alt key and type 0160 on
the numeric keypad) and leave the Replace With panel blank, then click
Replace All.

If that doesn't convert them to numbers, then you can try multiplying
by 1 - enter 1 into a blank cell somewhere, select that cell and click
<copy. Then highlight the offending cells and Edit | Paste Special |
Multiply (check) then OK and <Esc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 6, 11:18 pm, David P. wrote:
Does anyone else do this but me? I am pasting HTML perfectly fine into Excel
but the numbers being pasted cannot be calculated. It's almost as if they are
being pasted in some weird format. The format says general but it isn't
acting like a general format. If you have the answer it would be greatly
appreciated.
--
David P.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can import External Data using Web Query, then copy the range to the
clipboard and paste those range as values in a new location in the worksheet,
using the Paste Special command under the Edit menu.

Procedure 1: Importing External Data

Do the following:

1. On the Data menu, point to Insert External Data, and then click New Web
Query.
The New query dialog box is displays.
2. Click the Stop icon to stop the default url getting executed.
3. In the Address box, enter this url : http://quote.yahoo.com/ and click
the Go button.
4. Click the yellow arrow next to the table you want to import. When you
click the yellow arrow it appears as tick mark. Click all those portion of
the web page you want to import by clicking the yellow arrow.
5. Click the Import button to return to the import Data dialog box.
6. Specify the cell location where you want the imported data to be
displayed. There are two option, whether you want it at the existing location
or in a New worksheet. In our case case let assume the cell position is =$E$31
7. Click Ok to return to the active Worksheet. The excel displays the
following message "Getting Data..." and the External Data Toolbar is displayed
8. Click the refresh icon to refresh data .

Procedure 2: Pasting the copied range as Values.

1. Slect the range of imported data.
2. On the Edit menu click Copy.
3. Click a new cell location.
4. On the Edit menu, click Paste Special.
The Paste Special dialog box is displayed.
5. Under Pase section Values option.
6. Click Ok. This will paste thecontent from the clipboard.
7. Click a cell below the last cell.
8. In the Standard Toolbar, click the AutoSum icon to perform a sum function
of the range.

Challa Prabhu

"David P." wrote:

Does anyone else do this but me? I am pasting HTML perfectly fine into Excel
but the numbers being pasted cannot be calculated. It's almost as if they are
being pasted in some weird format. The format says general but it isn't
acting like a general format. If you have the answer it would be greatly
appreciated.
--
David P.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Aug 6, 11:18 pm, David P. wrote:
Does anyone else do this but me? I am pasting HTML perfectly fine into Excel
but the numbers being pasted cannot be calculated. It's almost as if they are
being pasted in some weird format. The format says general but it isn't
acting like a general format. If you have the answer it would be greatly
appreciated.
--
David P.- Hide quoted text -