Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default turn off scientific notation

Does anyone know of a way to turn off defaults so Scientific notation is not
used?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This article describes how the General number format displays numbers. It
says in effect that if you do not want exponential notation after 11
significant digits you have to use a different number format than General.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65903/

--
Jim
"slugger92" wrote in message
| Does anyone know of a way to turn off defaults so Scientific notation is
not
| used?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This relates to the first question.

Our companies website uses an online payment system provided by a local
university. When we download the payment file, it downloads in the CSV
format, when this is opened in excel, excel turns all the 12digit invoice
numbers into scientific notation, when this file is saved again (as a CSV),
it saves the scientific notation, and we loose 9 digits of the invoice
number. In the CSV you will see the data as 1.23E+11.

I AM NOT TELLING MY USERS TO HIGHLIGHT THE DATA AND CHANGE IT TO NUMBER
EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I just thought I would clarify my position on this.

HOW DO I TURN OFF THE AUTO FORMATTING TO SCIENTIFIC NOTATION FOR NUMBERS
LESS THAN 15 DIGITS?

"slugger92" wrote in message
| Does anyone know of a way to turn off defaults so Scientific notation is
not
| used?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, August 6, 2007 at 12:52:19 PM UTC-4, slugger92 wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to turn off defaults so Scientific notation is not
used?

Go to "123--" in the ribbon, it is next to the font. This is where you would usually see "Format Cells"