Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula for changing cae in excel

Hi

I'm new to excel, and i was wondering if you can tell me where it is i put
the formula for changing text from lower to proper? i have tried the formula
bar, i've tried putting it in cells, nothing is changing the case for me,
please help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

THat doesn't help, I know it says to do that, but where do I put it, and how
do I get it to work, I've put it in the formula bar, i've put it in different
cells, but it's not changing the case for me, that's what i need help with.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=PROPER(A1)

"sonia" wrote:

Hi

I'm new to excel, and i was wondering if you can tell me where it is i put
the formula for changing text from lower to proper? i have tried the formula
bar, i've tried putting it in cells, nothing is changing the case for me,
please help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Welcome to the Group!

Have you tried =PROPER(YourCell)? Just copy down/across from there.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

"sonia" wrote:

Hi

I'm new to excel, and i was wondering if you can tell me where it is i put
the formula for changing text from lower to proper? i have tried the formula
bar, i've tried putting it in cells, nothing is changing the case for me,
please help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"sonia" wrote...
THat doesn't help, I know it says to do that, but where do I put it,
and how do I get it to work, I've put it in the formula bar, i've put
it in different cells, but it's not changing the case for me, that's
what i need help with.

I'm going to guess you're new to spreadsheets generally.

You have text in some cell, and you want to change it to proper case. For
example, cell B2 containing "ACME SUPPLIERS" (without the double quotes,
which appear here only to show where the text begins and ends), and you want
it to appear as "Acme Suppliers". There's no simple way to do this in cell
B2 itself. The direct, manual approach would be to move to cell B2, press
the [F2] key, type

")

(this time including the double quote), press the [Home] key, type

=PROPER("

(again including the double quote), then press the [Enter] key. This would
make B2 contain the formula

=PROPER("ACME SUPPLIERS")

which would display as "Acme Suppliers".

What others have suggested involves using other cells. For example, enter
the formula =PROPER(B2) in cell C2. C2 would now show the value of cell B2
in proper case. If you want that in cell B2, you could copy cell C2, move to
cell B2 and run the menu command Edit Paste Special, then choose Values in
the Paste Special dialog. That would copy the value of cell C2 into cell B2.
Then you could clear cell C2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If that formula doesn't work and you are still seeing lower case in the cell
where you have that formula, check that in Tools/ Options/ Calculation you
have the mode set to Automatic, not Manual.
What text do you see in A1, and what do you see in the cell where you have
that formula?
--
David Biddulph

"sonia" wrote in message
THat doesn't help, I know it says to do that, but where do I put it, and
how
do I get it to work, I've put it in the formula bar, i've put it in
different
cells, but it's not changing the case for me, that's what i need help
with.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=PROPER(A1)

"sonia" wrote:

Hi

I'm new to excel, and i was wondering if you can tell me where it is i
put
the formula for changing text from lower to proper? i have tried the
formula
bar, i've tried putting it in cells, nothing is changing the case for
me,
please help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Harlan

You helped me heaps, that makes more sense and the case actually changed.
woohoo
THANK YOU

"sonia" wrote...