Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 12MMT - How ?

With your data in Sheet1 starting from A1 and the start date you want in
Sheet2 A1 put:

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+12,DAY(A1))

In B1

Then use the formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!A2:A106=A1)*(Sheet1!A2:A106<B 1)*Sheet1!C2:C106)

Adjust to suit your needs.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Rob L" wrote in message
u...
I have a table of data

Month Hours
Jan 06 2005
Feb 06 1750
Mar 06 3520
Mar 07 2300

I have a table on a separate sheet. I want to be able to put (say) Mar 07
in cell A1, and have the 12 month moving total (total from Mar 07 to April
06) in cell A2. If I change A1 to Feb 07, then the 12MMT range is from Feb
07 to Mar 06, and I want the total to change to reflect this.

Can someone help with a formula please

Thanks,

Rob L

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rob,

An alternative would be to use a Pivot Table. Add a helper column - say
labelled "Period" with a formula similar to:

=IF(AND(A2=Sheet2!$A$1,A2<Sheet2!$B$1),Sheet2!$B$ 1,"")

This column may be hidden afterwards if necessary.

When you construct the Pivot Table drag "Period" into the "Row".
Double-click on the "Period" button and in the "Hide Items" box clcik on the
enpty line above the date. then click OK. This will hide the rows with the
empty string, (or whatever else you use n place of the empty string). Next
drag "Employee Number" and what ever else you want into "Column" and finally
"Hours into the "Data" and finish constructing the Pivot Table as you wish.

The disadvantage of Pivot tables is that they are not automatic and have to
be refreshed but for large amounts od data they are very fast.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Rob L" wrote in message
u...
I'm not sure that SUMPRODUCT is what I want (I've tried your formula
without it doing what I wanted).

I actually have a large sheet with various columns of data (hours,
Employee Numbers, Lost Time Injuries etc). Column 1 contains months (01 mm
yy formatted as mmm yy), in sequence.

I need to be able to fill a table on Sheet 2 with various sums of the
data, based on a month that I put in cell A1 on Sheet 2. So if I put Feb
07 in A1, I need the sum of the hours, employee numbers, and LTI's for the
period Mar 06 - Feb 07, to go into cells B2, B3, and B4. If I change A1 to
Jun 07, then the sums change to the sums for Jul 06 - Jun 07.

The formula that I use to get the "Start Month" is =EOMonth(A1,-12)+1
(which works OK), but how do I get the Total (or Average) of the cells
between these two dates, for the required column ? My thoughts turn
towards an Array formula, but I'm not that proficient with them....

Thanks for any help.

Rob L

"Rob L" wrote in message
u...
I have a table of data

Month Hours
Jan 06 2005
Feb 06 1750
Mar 06 3520
Mar 07 2300

I have a table on a separate sheet. I want to be able to put (say) Mar
07 in cell A1, and have the 12 month moving total (total from Mar 07 to
April 06) in cell A2. If I change A1 to Feb 07, then the 12MMT range is
from Feb 07 to Mar 06, and I want the total to change to reflect this.

Can someone help with a formula please

Thanks,

Rob L

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sumproduct will work just fine. When you enter the "search" date and you
enter it as Feb 07 the true underlying value of the cell is Feb 7 2007 even
though you may have it formatted as mmm yy. However, this shouldn't be
problem since your data dates are entered as 1 mmm yy. Ambiguous dates are a
bad idea and can cause unexpected problems. Feb 07 is an ambiguous date.

For the 12 month sum:

A1 = Feb 07

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A100DATE(YEAR(A1)-1,MONTH(A1),1)),--(Sheet1!A1:A100<=A1),Sheet1!B1:B100)

For the 12 month average:

I don't know how much data you have or when it starts or if you might have
empty cells for certain months but assuming there is always enough data and
no empty cells all you have to do is divide the sum by 12. However, I
wouldn't trust all that so here's an average formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A100DATE(YEAR(A1)-1,MONTH(A1),1)),--(Sheet1!A1:A100<=A1),Sheet1!B1:B100)/SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A100DATE(YEAR(A1)-1,MONTH(A1),1)),--(Sheet1!A1:A100<=A1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP