Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CB CB is offline

Default How to add numbers using criteria from another column

Can you help me figure out how to add numbers in one column based on criteria
from another column. I would like to add the numbers in between each time
Chris shows up on the chart below and put the total in a separate column.
example:
qty name total
1 chris
2 jon
9 jim
1 chris 11
34 joe
10 brad
4 jon
6 bret
2 chris 54

Can you help me? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

an easy way is to use helper columns
(D:E??)
in D2 enter
=if(b2="chris",0,D1+A2)
in E2 enter
=if(B2="chris",if(isnumber(D1),D1,""),"")
copy D2 and E2 and paste down as far as you need to go.
Hide column D