Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding hours and minutes

I am trying to add hours an dminutes within a cell. The only help hints I
can find tell you how to add hours & minutes when referencing an outside
cell. My problem is within one cell I need to find a formula to add 7 hours
35 minutes plus 20 hours and 58 minutes. I can a whole bunch of crazy
numbers - but I can never get it to be the 28 hours and 33 minutes it should
be.
I have a spreadsheet where I will have to continully be adding in additional
hours into each cell and I don't want to have to manually add them if Excel
can do it for me.
Can anyone help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to add hours an dminutes within a cell. The only help hints I
can find tell you how to add hours & minutes when referencing an outside
cell.

Not sure what you mean by that.

A1 = 7:35
A2 = 20:58

If you need to enter times 24:00, like: 34:45

Format the cells as [h]:mm

=SUM(A1:A2) = 28:33

Format the formula cell as [h]:mm

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Breezy77" wrote in message
I am trying to add hours an dminutes within a cell. The only help hints I
can find tell you how to add hours & minutes when referencing an outside
cell. My problem is within one cell I need to find a formula to add 7
hours
35 minutes plus 20 hours and 58 minutes. I can a whole bunch of crazy
numbers - but I can never get it to be the 28 hours and 33 minutes it
should
be.
I have a spreadsheet where I will have to continully be adding in
additional
hours into each cell and I don't want to have to manually add them if
Excel
can do it for me.
Can anyone help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not adding from two different cells. I currently have 7 hours and 35
minutes in Cell A1 and need to add 20 Hours and 58 minutes to this total.
The 20:58 is not in any other cell - it is just a number that needs to be
added.

"Breezy77" wrote in message
I am trying to add hours an dminutes within a cell. The only help hints I
can find tell you how to add hours & minutes when referencing an outside
cell. My problem is within one cell I need to find a formula to add 7
hours
35 minutes plus 20 hours and 58 minutes. I can a whole bunch of crazy
numbers - but I can never get it to be the 28 hours and 33 minutes it
should
be.
I have a spreadsheet where I will have to continully be adding in
additional
hours into each cell and I don't want to have to manually add them if
Excel
can do it for me.
Can anyone help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=G1+(20/24)+(58/24/60)

where G1 holds 7:35

you can also use

=G1+TIME(20,58,)

as long as you don't add more than 24 hours

note that you still need to custom format the cell as [hh]:mm

or else you will get 04:33 for the first formula and

01/01/00 04:33

for the second

Peo Sjoblom

"Breezy77" wrote in message
I am trying to add hours an dminutes within a cell. The only help hints
can find tell you how to add hours & minutes when referencing an
outside
cell. My problem is within one cell I need to find a formula to add 7
hours
35 minutes plus 20 hours and 58 minutes. I can a whole bunch of crazy
numbers - but I can never get it to be the 28 hours and 33 minutes it
should
be.
I have a spreadsheet where I will have to continully be adding in
additional
hours into each cell and I don't want to have to manually add them if
Excel
can do it for me.
Can anyone help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not trying to add cells together. What I am trying to do is take a cell
that currently has 7 hours and 35 minutes in it and add 10 hours and 58
minutes to that 7:35. The 10:58 is not located in any other cell - it is
simply a number from a piece of paper I receive that I need to add to the
original 7:35.
Is it possible to do this?

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=SUM(A1:A2)

Fomat cells as: [h]:mm

"Breezy77" wrote:

I am trying to add hours an dminutes within a cell. The only help hints I
can find tell you how to add hours & minutes when referencing an outside
cell. My problem is within one cell I need to find a formula to add 7 hours
35 minutes plus 20 hours and 58 minutes. I can a whole bunch of crazy
numbers - but I can never get it to be the 28 hours and 33 minutes it should
be.
I have a spreadsheet where I will have to continully be adding in additional
hours into each cell and I don't want to have to manually add them if Excel
can do it for me.
Can anyone help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use Peo's first example:

=A1+(hours/24)+(minutes/1440)

For example:

A1 = 7:35

Add 35:10

=A1+(35/24)+(10/1440)

Format as [h]:mm or [hh]:mm

The difference in formats is that [hh]:mm will give you a leading 0 when the
hours is a single digit. Like this:

[h]:mm = 9:10
[hh]:mm = 09:10

--