Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unwanted Number Sorting Order

Hello,

I was baffled by the results Excel spitted out for me today. I was sorting
numbers and Excel seems to be sorting it by its first digit then second and
so forth. I checked that all the numbers are under "General" format and
there was nothing special I have done to alter Excel's sorting settings.

An example of what I am talking about:
Say I want to sort the following numbers: "1,2,100,200"
Excel would spit out "1,100,2,200" for me and I really don't want that.

Is there anything I can do to make it sort according to normal numerical
orders again?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's really strange Erica.

If I open a new file, type 1, 2, 100, 200 below each other, sort them
ascending, then they come out fine.

--
Wigi
http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music

"Erica" wrote:

Hello,

I was baffled by the results Excel spitted out for me today. I was sorting
numbers and Excel seems to be sorting it by its first digit then second and
so forth. I checked that all the numbers are under "General" format and
there was nothing special I have done to alter Excel's sorting settings.

An example of what I am talking about:
Say I want to sort the following numbers: "1,2,100,200"
Excel would spit out "1,100,2,200" for me and I really don't want that.

Is there anything I can do to make it sort according to normal numerical
orders again?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Erica,
Seems as though Excel still thinks these are text.
Assuming that these "numbers" are in column A, highlight column A to select
the entire column. Go to Data Text to Columns... and then click on Next,
Next, and Finish.
See if that fixes your sorting.
--
Ken Hudson