Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Bank balance type of formula

I have a spreadsheet that I need a bank balance type of formula, and I can't
figure out what i am doing wrong.......

Column B: deposits
Column C: withdrawals
Column D: top cell only with account balance, a formula which ADDS any
amounts placed into column A, and subracts any amounts put into column B.

This is what I am using as my formula in the Column D cell, which is
obviously not correct: =+(B13:B171)-(C13:C171)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

THANK YOU!

"RagDyeR" wrote:

One way:

=SUM(B13:B171)-SUM(C13:C171)

--

HTH,

RD

"DonnaR" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I need a bank balance type of formula, and I can't
figure out what i am doing wrong.......

Column B: deposits
Column C: withdrawals
Column D: top cell only with account balance, a formula which ADDS any
amounts placed into column A, and subracts any amounts put into column B.

This is what I am using as my formula in the Column D cell, which is
obviously not correct: =+(B13:B171)-(C13:C171)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

first, your description of column D says A is depostits but there is no
description of A and the formula references B & C so I'll assume the
description of D is wrong.
second, you are not referencing the opening balance.
third,do you only want a final balance or a running balance?

assuming the data looks like:
B C D
10 0
0 20

the formula in D3 could be "=D1+sum(B1:B3)-sum(c1:C3)"
or the formula in D2 cell could be "'=D1+B2-C2" and then copy down the column