Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default comparing data

Hello again. How do I compare data in two columns?

Both columns contain dates. Both columns should be identitcal,, but if
they are not, I need excel to highight, or to otherwise let me know which
dates are not identical in both columns.

newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can enter a formula like this in a column next to your two
columns:

=IF(A1=B1,"same","Different")

and copy down. You can then investigate the "Different" cells more
thoroughly, maybe by means of a filter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 1, 6:22 pm, newyorkjoy
wrote:
Hello again. How do I compare data in two columns?

Both columns contain dates. Both columns should be identitcal,, but if
they are not, I need excel to highight, or to otherwise let me know which
dates are not identical in both columns.

newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, that formula was very helpful. However, maybe I didn't explain
myself., Perhaps a different formula would work better. I don't need to
have identical dates in each row. (What happens with your formula, is that
the first time the dates don't match, it continues down saying "different"
even though the rest of the dates match, because the identical dates are not
in the exact same row.
I hope this is clear.

Thank you!
--
newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

wrote:
Hello again. How do I compare data in two columns?

Both columns contain dates. Both columns should be identitcal,, but if
they are not, I need excel to highight, or to otherwise let me know which
dates are not identical in both columns.

newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can someone please answer this questoin?
--
newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

wrote:
Hello again. How do I compare data in two columns?

Both columns contain dates. Both columns should be identitcal,, but if
they are not, I need excel to highight, or to otherwise let me know which
dates are not identical in both columns.

newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you just want to see if a date in Column A is contained anywhere in
Column B then try:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1=$B$1:$B$21))

This will return 1 for matches and 0 for non-matches

If you want Same.Different then use:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(A1=$B$1:$B$21)),"Same","Different")

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

wrote:
Hello again. How do I compare data in two columns?

Both columns contain dates. Both columns should be identitcal,, but
if
they are not, I need excel to highight, or to otherwise let me know
which
dates are not identical in both columns.

newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thank you! I'll try it and let you know.
--
newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

wrote:
Hello again. How do I compare data in two columns?

Both columns contain dates. Both columns should be identitcal,, but
if
they are not, I need excel to highight, or to otherwise let me know
which
dates are not identical in both columns.

newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

it worked! thanks
--
newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

wrote:
Hello again. How do I compare data in two columns?

Both columns contain dates. Both columns should be identitcal,, but
if
they are not, I need excel to highight, or to otherwise let me know
which
dates are not identical in both columns.

newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"newyorkjoy" wrote in message
it worked! thanks

Glad about that. Thank for the feedback.

--
Reagrds,