Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
al al is offline

Default Tab name = cell value?

Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

B2: =MID(CELL("filename"),SEARCH("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Al" wrote:

Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This will work only if the file has been saved
=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Al" wrote in message
Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the
same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Al

Try
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)

The file must be saved first.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Al" wrote in message
Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the
same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
al al is offline

These both work...many thanks to you. I'm now reading up on MID and FIND
functions, but could you please explain what your functions are actually
doing. Thanks in advance!

"Al" wrote in message
Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the
same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"),1)+1,99)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Al" wrote:

Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Type the formula =CELL("FILENAME"), OR =CELL("FILENAME",A1) in a cell and see
that it returns the entire PATH, Workbook name, and sheet name. The formula
sees this string each time those terms are used in it. Essentially the
formula says to find the closing bracket symbol "]", skip over it, and return
the rest of the characters in the string (ie: the sheetname)

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Al" wrote:

Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to find out what an Excel function does, put the function name
into Excel's help. It will tell you the syntax, show examples, and often
cross-refer to related functions too.
--
David Biddulph

"Al" wrote in message
Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the
same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or (more robustly)
=RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1) )-FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1)))--David Biddulph"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in ... =RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-FIND("]",CELL("filename"))) "Al" wrote in ... Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is thesame as the tab? (Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to "Project ABC") Allan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Be careful with the formulas that didn't include a reference to a cell in the
sheet.

=CELL("filename")

will return the name of the workbook that is active when excel recalcs. If you
open two different workbooks and arrang windows so you can a worksheet from each
workbook and put that =CELL("filename") in a cell in each workbook, you'll see
the problem.

In this case, you'd want to include a reference to the worksheet that contains
the formula. You can use:

=CELL("filename",a1)
or even use the cell that contains the formula.

Al wrote:

Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Good point Dave............I keep forgetting that......probably I need to
increase the strength of my medication <g

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Al wrote:

Any way to import a tab name into a cell such that the cell text is the same
as the tab?

(Tab name = Project ABC, and I'd like to automatically set cell B2 to
"Project ABC")

Allan

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
al al is offline

Thanks for the explanation...reading the HELP doesn't "explain" what's going
on to us non-experts! (Love this discussion group...keep up the good work!)