Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Information on one tab to another

I have my general information on a sheet in Excel. I have a colum "I", that
I am going to put a X in. So on sheet 2 I want only the rows that contain X
in column I to carry over. I am not sure if this is one of the lookups or an
if statement.
Thanks
Cheyenne
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Either could be used, but you'd have to 'play tricks' with a VLOOKUP, so IF
is better.

On the second sheet, something like (this in A2 on Sheet2 to retrieve A2
from Sheet 1 if I2 has an X:

=IF(Sheet1!I2="X",Sheet1!A2,"")
in B2
=IF(Sheet1!I2="X",Sheet1!B2,"")
and so on across the first row. Nice thing about the formula(s) is that
they will 'fill' to the right and down the sheet very nicely. You can use
Data | Filter | AutoFilter to only display non-blank rows to keep things neat
on the second sheet.

"Chey" wrote:

I have my general information on a sheet in Excel. I have a colum "I", that
I am going to put a X in. So on sheet 2 I want only the rows that contain X
in column I to carry over. I am not sure if this is one of the lookups or an
if statement.
Thanks
Cheyenne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Messed up - realized it right after clicking [post]. Put a $ sign in front
of the I in the formulas as
=IF(Sheet1!$I2...
That will keep that column reference from changing as you fill the formula
left to right across the sheet. The rest stays the same.

"Chey" wrote:

I have my general information on a sheet in Excel. I have a colum "I", that
I am going to put a X in. So on sheet 2 I want only the rows that contain X
in column I to carry over. I am not sure if this is one of the lookups or an
if statement.
Thanks
Cheyenne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did a little experimeting and I guess this wont work. What is happening is
Each day when a "provider" is flagged we put an "A" for day 1 and "B" for day
2 and so on. Since we don't work on the weekends A-Z will work just fine.
What I need is a formula that says "A" it will pull the row of information
that has an "A" in column I. Each time we want to filter by a different
letter will just change the letter in the formula. I tired what you wrote
and it works going down but not across. Should I be holding down a key on
the keyboard or something?
Thanks for you help
Cheyenne

"Chey" wrote:

I have my general information on a sheet in Excel. I have a colum "I", that
I am going to put a X in. So on sheet 2 I want only the rows that contain X
in column I to carry over. I am not sure if this is one of the lookups or an
if statement.
Thanks
Cheyenne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You must have missed my second posting, there was an error in the formula
that I posted first and I tried to get a 2nd post in with the fix.

Because the Sheet1!I2 does not have a $ in front of the I (as !$I instead of
just !I) it lets I change to J (and K and L ...) as you drag it across the
sheet. Change that first formula to look like this (In A2 on Sheet2)

=IF('Sheet1'!$I2 = "X", 'Sheet1'!A2,"")
that formula is correct and will alter itself properly as you drag it across
the sheet and/or down the sheet.
Note that the single quote marks around the sheet name are only required if
the sheet name has a space in it. It doesn't hurt to have them, and if Excel
decides they are not needed, it just tosses them away anyhow.