Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default When to add the + sign in =+A2 instead of =A2 formula in Excel?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

never

nguyensea wrote:
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Bob. But I've seen lots of that though I still don't know the
difference with and without the '+' sign in front of all formulas.

"Bob I" wrote:

never

nguyensea wrote:
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That probably carried over from opening a Lotus file, in Excel it's
never needed.

nguyensea wrote:

Thanks, Bob. But I've seen lots of that though I still don't know the
difference with and without the '+' sign in front of all formulas.

"Bob I" wrote:

never

nguyensea wrote:

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

many of the +s are left over from where people have used other spread sheets.
It is not needed in Excel and of no benefit that I know of
the -- is useful for changing logical statements to numeric which the +
infrom of a logical statement won't

"nguyensea" wrote:

Thanks, Bob. But I've seen lots of that though I still don't know the
difference with and without the '+' sign in front of all formulas.

"Bob I" wrote:

never

nguyensea wrote:
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think it's a hold over from people using Lotus 123. Lotus users started
formulas with a plus (or some arithmetic symbol). Excel wants to start formulas
with an equal sign.

But excel is forgiving and won't care if you use =+A1 or just =A1.

But users know that =+A1 doesn't do anything and find it irritating.

So if you want to irritate other users, use =+. If you want to save typing,
then drop the +.

nguyensea wrote:

Thanks, Bob. But I've seen lots of that though I still don't know the
difference with and without the '+' sign in front of all formulas.

"Bob I" wrote:

never

nguyensea wrote:
thanks

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks all for the responses. That may be exported to Excel from other
programs.

nguyensea wrote:

Thanks, Bob. But I've seen lots of that though I still don't know the
difference with and without the '+' sign in front of all formulas.

"Bob I" wrote:

never

nguyensea wrote:
thanks