Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default database - looking for dups

This there a way to search for dups in an Excel database.

The database is over 2,000 rows

With a visual spot check I notice there are dups (sometimes as many as five
rows.

Part of the problem will probably be that the dups are not totally identical

One group might be

123 Main St
123 Main #220
123 E Main St
123 E Main
123 E Main Street
123 East Main Street

So it is not simply a matter of finding the an exact match. And there are
many other groups with different addresses.

Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 24 Jul, 21:38, sos-DC wrote:
This there a way to search for dups in an Excel database.

The database is over 2,000 rows

With a visual spot check I notice there are dups (sometimes as many as five
rows.

Part of the problem will probably be that the dups are not totally identical

One group might be

123 Main St
123 Main #220
123 E Main St
123 E Main
123 E Main Street
123 East Main Street

So it is not simply a matter of finding the an exact match. And there are
many other groups with different addresses.

Can anyone help?

When you say data base, I assume you mean workbook with 2000
Rows......

If so see the Mighty Chip's site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

This will get you out of the Mire.

Matthew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may be able to sort the data to make it easier to check.

But I think you're going to have to do a lot of manual checking. I wouldn't
trust many (any?) algorithm that I came up with to eliminate those duplicates
with no checking.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I copied the sample database from the website.

In Column "A" I entered

123 main
123 main st
123 main ave
123 e main

It consistently said "No Duplicates"

So apparently there is no was to locate duplicates unless the information in
the cells are identical.

Are there any other options other than manually checking the entire list?