Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel functions

I'm trying to figure out a function for a column. I want column M to look at
column C and IF the word in column C is "black" or "red" i want column M to
show a value of "1"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(C1="black",1,IF(C1="red",1,0))

"cyrock1" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a function for a column. I want column M to look at
column C and IF the word in column C is "black" or "red" i want column M to
show a value of "1"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See if this does what you are asking, paste in M1 or adapt for your first cell.
=IF(C1="Red",1,IF(C2="black",1,""))
--
-John
is helpful.

"cyrock1" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a function for a column. I want column M to look at
column C and IF the word in column C is "black" or "red" i want column M to
show a value of "1"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe this?

=--OR(C1="red",C1="black")

That formula returns 1 for hits and 0 for misses.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"cyrock1" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a function for a column. I want column M to look at
column C and IF the word in column C is "black" or "red" i want column M to
show a value of "1"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I seem to be having trouble with the paste part. Do I highlight the column
by clicking on the letter above it and pasting or do I manually highlight all
the column and paste? Neither seem to be working for me.
PS I'm heading off to work so you won't see any response to this until
tomorrow but thanks for all the help.

"cyrock1" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a function for a column. I want column M to look at
column C and IF the word in column C is "black" or "red" i want column M to
show a value of "1"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right click on M1, left click on copy.

Left click and hold n M2 and go down as far as you need, highlighting all
the cells you want to contain the formula. Right click on M2. Left click on
Paste.

"cyrock1" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a function for a column. I want column M to look at
column C and IF the word in column C is "black" or "red" i want column M to
show a value of "1"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or just grab the fill handle of M1 and drag down as far as you wish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"cyrock1" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a function for a column. I want column M to look at
column C and IF the word in column C is "black" or "red" i want column M to
show a value of "1"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure what a"fill handle" is but all of the advice was helpful.
Where do I rate the help as it saved me a lot of work and will save me even
more in the future..