Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing all formulae in a worksheet from absolute to relative

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying. After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time. Isn't
there an easier way?
--
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here are 4 macros.

The fourth one will do what you want.

Sub Absolute()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute)
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteRow()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsRowRelColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteCol()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelRowAbsColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub Relative()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelative)
Next
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:10:07 -0700, Tom Reetz
wrote:

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying. After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time. Isn't
there an easier way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks a lot for your prompt and accurate reponse! I suspected that a macro
would be required, but had hoped that a Function would do the trick. But it
is good to know there is a way. Thanks again.
--
Tom

wrote:

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying. After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time. Isn't
there an easier way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately, no built-in function exists.

Gord

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:02:01 -0700, Tom Reetz
wrote:

Thanks a lot for your prompt and accurate reponse! I suspected that a macro
would be required, but had hoped that a Function would do the trick. But it
is good to know there is a way. Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

wrote:

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying. After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time. Isn't
there an easier way?- Hide quoted text -

From the Edit menu /Find / Replace and put $ in the find window and

leave the Replace widow blank, and hit Replace All.

ed (who hates macros)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good point with the EditReplace.

That's OK for OP's request to remove $ signs, but rather difficult doing any
other operation like changing relative to absolute.

What is wrong with macros?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:43:57 -0700, ed wrote:

From the Edit menu /Find / Replace and put $ in the find window and

leave the Replace widow blank, and hit Replace All.

ed (who hates macros)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Jul 23, 7:27 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
Good point with the EditReplace.

That's OK for OP's request to remove $ signs, but rather difficult doing any
other operation like changing relative to absolute.

What is wrong with macros?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

OP Asked: "But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time.
Isn't
there an easier way?" Find/Replace is pretty easy and he should know
about it. It's well to advise him not to try to figure out the
reverse process. Will your Macro do it?

I can't program, although I'm an Engineer, so I found my niche in
Spreadsheets. HE blessed us all with Excel97 and just learning all
about it is enough fun for me.

ed

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:43:57 -0700, ed wrote:
From the Edit menu /Find / Replace and put $ in the find window and

leave the Replace widow blank, and hit Replace All.

ed (who hates macros)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I supplied 4 macros.

Each of which does a different function.

Absolute to relative.

Relative to absolute.

Relative row....absolute column

Relative column.....absolute row

Gord

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:32:42 -0700, ed wrote:

It's well to advise him not to try to figure out the
reverse process. Will your Macro do it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In microsoft.public.excel.misc on Mon, 23 Jul 2007, ed
wrote :

From the Edit menu /Find / Replace and put $ in the find window and

leave the Replace widow blank, and hit Replace All.

ed (who hates macros)

That's exactly how I would do it, too (I also hate macros). :)
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord

Your answer is exactly what I need, however I have no idea what your macros
mean or how to write them so I can use them.

I thought I was a bit of an Excel pro, but Macro who??? I have no idea.

If you can help out and give me further instructions how to write the macro
especialy AbsoluteCol() that would be great.

I have a gigantic (under statement) spreadsheet and I thought making
everything absolute was the right way to go, however when I put an autofilter
and try to filter different things my whole theory went out the window!!!!!
I want the column to stay the same but the row needs to change depending on
my filter sort.

wrote:

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying. After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time. Isn't
there an easier way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't need to write it, Gord has done it for you. Just insert it into a
code module and assign it to a macro.

Take a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

wrote:

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying.
After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from
absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time.
Isn't
there an easier way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for
more on "getting started".

or Ron de De Bruin's site on where to store macros.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

In the meantime..........

First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + r to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Run or edit the macro by going to ToolMacroMacros.

You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo.

Gord

wrote:

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying. After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time. Isn't
there an easier way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Bob.

I'll take a look at the web site. I freaked out when I went into record a
macro and then Visual basic!

Thanks once again.

wrote:

When I am building a worksheet, I use $ a lot to permit copying.
After I am
satisfied with the result, I want to convert all the formulas from
absolue to
relative. But the only way I know to do it is one cell at a time.
Isn't
there an easier way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord thanks so much for your asssitance, you've really saved my butt!!!!! I
thought I'd be here all weekend just changing things.

I'll get to it and let you know how I went.

Thanks so much Gord your a life saver!

Smiley :)