Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Making Pivot Table row formatting stick

I have data that I would like to show at various indents on the row field.
FOr instance:
Music
Rock
Pop
R&B
Books
Fiction
Non-Fiction

I have turned on Preserve formatting and turned off AutoFormat. I read
somewhere that in order to make formatting stick you need to select the Row
Field and then apply the formatting. Obviously this applies the same
formatting to all row headings which is not what I want. Is there any way
to achieve what I want and make it stick?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are all these items in the same field? It looks like they should be separated
into two fields, and that way they would appear in different columns.

But if you need to format them in the same field:

Make sure that Enable Selection is turned on
To enable selection --
From the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTableSelect
If it's not already activated, click on Enable Selection

To format a section of a pivot table, e.g. specific row items --
Move the pointer to the left of a row item in the pivot table.
When the black arrow appears, click to select the row label and data
(to select other adjacent items, drag down, or Ctrl+click on non-adjacent
items)
On the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTableSelectLabels
Format the selected labels
--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

"Vicky" wrote:

I have data that I would like to show at various indents on the row field.
FOr instance:
Music
Rock
Pop
R&B
Books
Fiction
Non-Fiction

I have turned on Preserve formatting and turned off AutoFormat. I read
somewhere that in order to make formatting stick you need to select the Row
Field and then apply the formatting. Obviously this applies the same
formatting to all row headings which is not what I want. Is there any way
to achieve what I want and make it stick?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's what happens in the last two steps I listed:

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

Are all these items in the same field? It looks like they should be separated
into two fields, and that way they would appear in different columns.

But if you need to format them in the same field:

Make sure that Enable Selection is turned on
To enable selection --
From the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTableSelect

"Vicky" wrote:

I have data that I would like to show at various indents on the row field.
FOr instance:
Music
Rock
Pop
R&B
Books
Fiction
Non-Fiction

I have turned on Preserve formatting and turned off AutoFormat. I read
somewhere that in order to make formatting stick you need to select the Row
Field and then apply the formatting. Obviously this applies the same
formatting to all row headings which is not what I want. Is there any way
to achieve what I want and make it stick?

Thanks!

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures