Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protecting a file from Copy/Paste

I've created a fairly secure set of workbooks that the end users can't really
modify (only the cells I allow them to modify) to go out to multiple users.
Now I got a question/request from the main user asking the following:

"Is there a way to lock the file to prevent folks from selecting all and
copying and pasting to a new excel file"

My first reaction is "NO" - but then I thought of asking the same question
here.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't fool yourself into thinking that your workbook is secure, it isn't and
anyone with access to Google will have it un-protected in seconds and that is
the nature of Excel protection.

With regard to cut/copy etc, Ken Puls has an excellent routine and you can
download the workbook he-

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=373

Mike

"ReportSmith" wrote:

I've created a fairly secure set of workbooks that the end users can't really
modify (only the cells I allow them to modify) to go out to multiple users.
Now I got a question/request from the main user asking the following:

"Is there a way to lock the file to prevent folks from selecting all and
copying and pasting to a new excel file"

My first reaction is "NO" - but then I thought of asking the same question
here.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Mike. I'll give it a try, but since I will need to do this for ~75
files with multiple worksheets each and all of them protected, I'll see if I
can reset the main user's expectations before diving headfirst into all of
the work (but I do have code to unprotect/protect all the sheets
programmatically and I can modify it as needed).

As far as securing the workbook - I know, I know....it's not really secure,
but I don't think the end users will be searching for ways to unprotect and
modify the worksheets/books for the purpose that the sheets/books serve.

Thanks again.