Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup on blank cells formatted with dates

I am trying to do a IF(ISNA(Vlookup)) function to return dates. The problem
is my function returns a weird date when my lookup value is blank, when I
change the format of the cell from date to general, text, etc, this time it
returns 0. I want my function to return blank when the cell I am trying to
look up is blank. Does anyone know how to do this? My function is as
follows:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook]Tab2'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE)), VLOOKUP(A1,
'[Workbook]Tab1'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE), VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook]Tab2'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE))

second row (2) above is the cell with the date

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook]Tab2'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE)), "",
VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook]Tab2'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE)))

is this what you require?

"Ayse" wrote:

I am trying to do a IF(ISNA(Vlookup)) function to return dates. The problem
is my function returns a weird date when my lookup value is blank, when I
change the format of the cell from date to general, text, etc, this time it
returns 0. I want my function to return blank when the cell I am trying to
look up is blank. Does anyone know how to do this? My function is as
follows:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook]Tab2'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE)), VLOOKUP(A1,
'[Workbook]Tab1'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE), VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook]Tab2'!$A:$Z,2,FALSE))

second row (2) above is the cell with the date

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your reply.

My formula is correct. I think I need to add to it and not remove. What I
am doing with my formula is to look for a value (A1) in one sheet and if it
is not there to look at another sheet and return the applicable value (2).
My question is if my applicable cell value is blank and is formatted with
date, how do I make it return "" instead of 0 or #N/A.

Thanks in advance