Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to calculate time difference in hh:mm:ss

I'm trying to find the durations between timecode in and out points. It seems
like it shoudl be easy using Excel formula, but I can't get it to work.
Either the formatting is wrong, showing me a date, whcih I do not want, or I
get an answer that goes over 60 in the seconds place.

For example, I want to enter an in point of 02:42:15 (A1) with an out point
of 02:43:20 (B1) and see a duration of 00:01:05 (C1).

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I have tried that like crazy, but when I format as 'hh:mm:ss' I get a
date in the cell and the time I keyed in goes to all zeroes. For example, I
had:

IN OUT
04:52:22 04:53:21

When I format these as 'hh:mm:ss' they go to all zeroes and a wacky date and
12:00:00 AM appear in the function bar.

I have tried formatting as '00":"00":"00":"00', but that gives me a duration
of :99 when the result should of course be :59.

This is driving me nuts.

"Toppers" wrote:

=B1-A1

format as hh:mm:ss

"bobby t" wrote:

I'm trying to find the durations between timecode in and out points. It seems
like it shoudl be easy using Excel formula, but I can't get it to work.
Either the formatting is wrong, showing me a date, whcih I do not want, or I
get an answer that goes over 60 in the seconds place.

For example, I want to enter an in point of 02:42:15 (A1) with an out point
of 02:43:20 (B1) and see a duration of 00:01:05 (C1).

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Same response as to Toppers, Bob. Formatting to hh:mm:ss seems to do nothing
but screw things up for me. I have tried all kinds of combos. I just tried
leaving the in and out formatted as general and just the reulst as hh:mm:ss,
but the reult was all zeroes. Grrrr.