Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

Default Custom Auto fill

Is there a way to make a list of certain items, and use that as a auto fill
list? for example on a seperate sheet, when I start writing a word, it should
auto fill it? (I'm not talking about the custom list from the drag / fill
feature).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you can create drop-down
lists in the cells that will have certain values listed (called validation).

1. On a separate sheet, enter the text you want shown in the drop-down list
(separate cells for each value).
2. Highlight all the cells and enter a name for the range (in the box above
cell A) or you can try Insert/Name/Define to create named ranges. Example:
MyList
3. On the sheet that you want to create the drop-down, select the cell (or
cell range) that you want the drop-down list to appear in.
4. Go to Data/Validation and select "List" in the Allow: field (Settings
tab).
5. Enter an equal symbol and then name of the list you created (Example:
=MyList) in the Source: field and click on OK.
6. You should now have drop-down lists in all the cells you highlighted and
they should all reflect the items you entered in your 'list' on the other
spreadsheet.
7. If you want to hide the sheet that has the list, click to select that
sheet and go to Format/Sheet/Hide. You can always view the sheet later by
selecting Unhide from the menu bar.

Hope that helps.
--
Sue (not a Excel pro or MVP, just an avid user)

"art" wrote:

Is there a way to make a list of certain items, and use that as a auto fill
list? for example on a seperate sheet, when I start writing a word, it should
auto fill it? (I'm not talking about the custom list from the drag / fill
feature).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

No. thanks. But this is not what I need. i want to make, that when I start
writing for example, "milk" and milk is on the custom list that I created,
then when I type "mi" it should auto fill it with milk. and so on. I have a
long list. Please help.

"art" wrote:

Is there a way to make a list of certain items, and use that as a auto fill
list? for example on a seperate sheet, when I start writing a word, it should
auto fill it? (I'm not talking about the custom list from the drag / fill
feature).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way that might be useful is to list all your complete words in a column
(say A1 to A200) then hide those rows so that cell A201 is at the top left of
the sheet, that way, when you start writing in the cells below (A202, A203,
A204, etc..), it will start to autocomplete as you type.
This will only work as long as there are no spaces in the list for some
reason but still may be of some use depending on your application.