Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default calculation unexpected

Hi,
I'm getting a calculation result I didn't expect and don't know where it's
coming from. I pasted a formula into a new cell and accidentally didn't
include the dollar sign to make it an absolute reference. Still, it did a
calculation on a dollar amount of $600, and a date of Mar 31 1993, and came
out with the result $20,435,400! I can't figure out how Excel is getting
this! I did 20,453,400/600, which gave me 34,059. But how does Excel get
that number from Mar 31 1993?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cell that has the date in and change the format to number and all
will be revealed.

Dates in Excel are stored as numbers and formatted to appear as dates to you
and I.

Mike

"zxcv" wrote:

Hi,
I'm getting a calculation result I didn't expect and don't know where it's
coming from. I pasted a formula into a new cell and accidentally didn't
include the dollar sign to make it an absolute reference. Still, it did a
calculation on a dollar amount of $600, and a date of Mar 31 1993, and came
out with the result $20,435,400! I can't figure out how Excel is getting
this! I did 20,453,400/600, which gave me 34,059. But how does Excel get
that number from Mar 31 1993?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 06:26:04 -0700, zxcv
wrote:

Hi,
I'm getting a calculation result I didn't expect and don't know where it's
coming from. I pasted a formula into a new cell and accidentally didn't
include the dollar sign to make it an absolute reference. Still, it did a
calculation on a dollar amount of $600, and a date of Mar 31 1993, and came
out with the result $20,435,400! I can't figure out how Excel is getting
this! I did 20,453,400/600, which gave me 34,059. But how does Excel get
that number from Mar 31 1993?

Excel counts 1/1/1900 as day 1.

Mar 31 1993 is day 34059.

That is how Excel stores dates.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Essentially, those numbers are just a counter from a base date.
(Tools|Options|calculation tab|1904 date system is where you'd toggle the
setting.) Most windows users don't use the 1904 date system. Most (many or
some???) Mac users use 1904 as the base date.

So there have been about 34,059 days since Dec 31, 1899.

(Just to make life interesting, there is a problem. Excel (and other
spreadsheet programs) treat February 29, 1900 as a leap year. It wasn't. This
isn't important to me (or most/many/some???) users <vbg.)

--

Dave Peterson