Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DHM DHM is offline

Default Insert work sheet with Custom headers

Word 2007
I have a workbook and I insert new worksheets. I use the tab at the bottom
to insert the worksheet. I want the same header for all the worksheets in
that workbook. How can I customize the inserted worksheet so that I do not
have to add the header. But I do not want those headers on other workbooks
when I insert a worksheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you CTRL-drag a sheet tab into the same workbook you get an exact
copy of the sheet including any headers that are set up on it,
formats, column widths etc as well as any data and formulae in that
sheet. So, you might like to set up a blank template on the first
sheet with headers how you want them to appear and just keep using
CTRL-drag for new sheets.

If, instead, you use Insert | Worksheet then the new sheet is taken
from Sheet.xla in your startup folder (if it exists) or from Excel's
default new sheet. If neither of these have the headings you talk
about, then this is how you should insert a new sheet without the
headers.

Presumably you mean Excel 2007 and not Word 2007 !

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 12, 1:16 am, DHM wrote:
Word 2007
I have a workbook and I insert new worksheets. I use the tab at the bottom
to insert the worksheet. I want the same header for all the worksheets in
that workbook. How can I customize the inserted worksheet so that I do not
have to add the header. But I do not want those headers on other workbooks
when I insert a worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, it should have said Sheet.xlt, not Sheet.xla.

Pete

On Jul 12, 1:16 am, DHM wrote:

Word 2007
I have a workbook and I insert new worksheets. I use the tab at the bottom
to insert the worksheet. I want the same header for all the worksheets in
that workbook. How can I customize the inserted worksheet so that I do not
have to add the header. But I do not want those headers on other workbooks
when I insert a worksheet.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DHM DHM is offline

I like the CTRL-drag but curiosity has me asking, I don't know if I have a
Sheet.xla in the start up folder. I don't know how to find the start up
forlder. Can you lead me in the right direction. Can I customize that. Or
does the default sheet get customized? If so, how is it done. If I change
the default worksheet, Sheet 1 then should be the new default sheet. Will
ithe nserted worksheets be the same as the new default worksheet?
I'm rather new to this so bear with me.

On Jul 12, 1:16 am, DHM wrote:
Word 2007
I have a workbook and I insert new worksheets. I use the tab at the bottom
to insert the worksheet. I want the same header for all the worksheets in
that workbook. How can I customize the inserted worksheet so that I do not
have to add the header. But I do not want those headers on other workbooks
when I insert a worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel doesn't have a BOOK.xlt by default.

It uses its own default new workbook template and that cannot be modified.....an
internal default.

You must create your own default template.

Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish.

FileSave As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name your
workbook "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for FileNew or the Toolbar button FileNew or
CTRL + n

WARNING................Do not use FileNew...Blank Workbook or you will get the
Excel default workbook.

NOTE: Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
the default InsertSheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Gord Dibben Excel MVP