Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "List Command"

I am taking an Excel college class online. I have to have the "List Command"
from the Data Menu but it isn't there. I went to customize the toolbar but
when I went to "data" the list command wasn't available for selection to drop
and drag. I went to "help" and it told me to "customize the toolbar" which I
already tried. I also do not have the XML command. What am I missing here?????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are missing XL 2003.
Those menu commands were added in that version.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"accessnovice"

wrote in message
I am taking an Excel college class online. I have to have the "List Command"
from the Data Menu but it isn't there. I went to customize the toolbar but
when I went to "data" the list command wasn't available for selection to drop
and drag. I went to "help" and it told me to "customize the toolbar" which I
already tried. I also do not have the XML command. What am I missing here?????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Which suite do you have?

I know for a fact that only the Professional version of Office 2003 has the XML
support.

I can't find anything on the "List" command but I did think it was provided in
all 2003 suites but if the menu item is not available under
toolscustomize......................?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:44:00 -0700, accessnovice
wrote:

I am taking an Excel college class online. I have to have the "List Command"
from the Data Menu but it isn't there. I went to customize the toolbar but
when I went to "data" the list command wasn't available for selection to drop
and drag. I went to "help" and it told me to "customize the toolbar" which I
already tried. I also do not have the XML command. What am I missing here?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Office XP includes XL 2002.
In Excel, click on "Help" on the menu bar
Select "About Microsoft Excel"
The Excel version should be shown at the top of the display.

You seem to have found the only major difference between
XL 2002 and XL 2003.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"accessnovice"

wrote in message
I am taking an Excel college class online. I have to have the "List Command"
from the Data Menu but it isn't there. I went to customize the toolbar but
when I went to "data" the list command wasn't available for selection to drop
and drag. I went to "help" and it told me to "customize the toolbar" which I
already tried. I also do not have the XML command. What am I missing here?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bingo! Thanks for your help. Is there some sort of update type thing I can do
in order to get the commands? I am halfway through this course and thought I
had 2003 all this time - ugh! I can't afford to buy 2003! Thanks.

wrote in message
I am taking an Excel college class online. I have to have the "List Command"
from the Data Menu but it isn't there. I went to customize the toolbar but
when I went to "data" the list command wasn't available for selection to drop
and drag. I went to "help" and it told me to "customize the toolbar" which I
already tried. I also do not have the XML command. What am I missing here?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it was me, I would just continue on with the course and skip
the parts you don't have commands for. If you can use and understand
XL2002 you won't have problems with other versions except for...

the latest version of Excel, the one following XL 2003, called XL2007.
It has some major changes that include doing away with the
toolbars and menu bars. (not everybody is happy with that)
The vast majority of current Excel users are not using XL2007 - including me.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"accessnovice"

wrote in message
I am taking an Excel college class online. I have to have the "List Command"
from the Data Menu but it isn't there. I went to customize the toolbar but
when I went to "data" the list command wasn't available for selection to drop
and drag. I went to "help" and it told me to "customize the toolbar" which I
already tried. I also do not have the XML command. What am I missing here?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can create your own customize Toolbar.

To create a custom Tool bar

Do the following:

1. On the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click Customize.
The Customize dialog box is displayed.
2. In the Toolbars tab, click New. In the New Toolbar dialog box, enter a
Name in the Toolbar Name box, and then click OK. A Toobar is diaplayed.
3. In the Customize dialog box, click the Commands Tab.
4. In the Categories list, select Data.
5. In the Commands list, click a command and drag and drop in to the new
Toolbar you have just created. You must move all the commands you you want by
clicking each time and dragggin and dropping them in the Tool bar.
6. Click Close.

Note: Your new tool bar will be listed under the Toolbars list, when you
click the Toolbars Tab in the Customize dialog box.

Challa Prabhu