Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Working with Dates

One column in my spreadsheet contains dates in the format mm/dd/yyyy.
Many of the cells in this column are blank, but for those that contain
a date, I want to determine which ones come after 05/13/2007.

I have created a column next to the date column, in which I hoped to
put an X in each cell that neighbors a date after 5/13/2007. I have
tried to use the formula
=IF(AND(cell=DATE(2007,5,13),cell<=DATE(2007,7,5) ),"X","O") ... As
this has worked for me in the past. In this case, though, it is
putting an O in every cell regardless of what the date is.

Is there a better formula that I can use?

Might there be a reason that this worked on other spreadsheets, but
not on this one?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming that your "cell" is actually a cell reference then your formula
works for me. It may be that you "Dates" are actually Text representation
of dates.

Try =ISTEXT(A1) for a cell with a "Date"

If the "Dates" are really text thn copy an empty cell and highlight the
range of cells ans then select Paste Special add and then change the
formatting to your desired date format

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

wrote in message
ups.com...
One column in my spreadsheet contains dates in the format mm/dd/yyyy.
Many of the cells in this column are blank, but for those that contain
a date, I want to determine which ones come after 05/13/2007.

I have created a column next to the date column, in which I hoped to
put an X in each cell that neighbors a date after 5/13/2007. I have
tried to use the formula
=IF(AND(cell=DATE(2007,5,13),cell<=DATE(2007,7,5) ),"X","O") ... As
this has worked for me in the past. In this case, though, it is
putting an O in every cell regardless of what the date is.

Is there a better formula that I can use?

Might there be a reason that this worked on other spreadsheets, but
not on this one?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Jul 5, 4:59 pm, wrote:
One column in my spreadsheet contains dates in the format mm/dd/yyyy.
Many of the cells in this column are blank, but for those that contain
a date, I want to determine which ones come after 05/13/2007.

I have created a column next to the date column, in which I hoped to
put an X in each cell that neighbors a date after 5/13/2007. I have
tried to use the formula
=IF(AND(cell=DATE(2007,5,13),cell<=DATE(2007,7,5) ),"X","O") ... As
this has worked for me in the past. In this case, though, it is
putting an O in every cell regardless of what the date is.

Is there a better formula that I can use?

Might there be a reason that this worked on other spreadsheets, but
not on this one?

P the folllowing formula cell B1 and copy it to the bottom of you
worksheet.
=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",IF(A105/07/2007,"X","")

Better yet conditional Format column A =A105/07/2007 andformat to
change color.

ed