-   -   missing value in a pivot table (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/148515-missing-value-pivot-table.html)

dawn_dudley

missing value in a pivot table

I am using a Pivot Table to get a sum of how many are in each category.
Categories are 1, 2, 3 4 or 5. Sometimes I have none in a category.
Is there any way to show a pivot table show all 5 categories if one of them
has
no one in the population without adding a blank line with the category? I
invariably get (say category 3 is blank)
Category Sum
1 10
2 12
4 50
5 3

Ideally, I would like to see category 3 with 0 or even blank.

Thanks so much!

[email protected]

missing value in a pivot table

On Jun 29, 6:44 pm, dawn_dudley
wrote:
I am using a Pivot Table to get a sum of how many are in each category.
Categories are 1, 2, 3 4 or 5. Sometimes I have none in a category.
Is there any way to show a pivot table show all 5 categories if one of them
has
no one in the population without adding a blank line with the category? I
invariably get (say category 3 is blank)
Category Sum
1 10
2 12
4 50
5 3

Ideally, I would like to see category 3 with 0 or even blank.

Thanks so much!

Is category 3 in the dataset that the table is made from? If so, use
field settings and check "Show items with no data"

Peter

dawn_dudley[_2_]

missing value in a pivot table

Unfortunately no, it is not in the dataset. Maybe this means I have to put
it in the dataset with no other data? I hope not. Thanks.

" wrote:

On Jun 29, 6:44 pm, dawn_dudley
wrote:
I am using a Pivot Table to get a sum of how many are in each category.
Categories are 1, 2, 3 4 or 5. Sometimes I have none in a category.
Is there any way to show a pivot table show all 5 categories if one of them
has
no one in the population without adding a blank line with the category? I
invariably get (say category 3 is blank)
Category Sum
1 10
2 12
4 50
5 3

Ideally, I would like to see category 3 with 0 or even blank.

Thanks so much!

Is category 3 in the dataset that the table is made from? If so, use
field settings and check "Show items with no data"

Peter

Roger Govier

missing value in a pivot table

Hi Dawn

You would have to have an entry in the source table with Category 3,
even if all other data in the row is blank.
Without it, there is no way that the PT will know that Category 3
exists.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"dawn_dudley" wrote in message
Unfortunately no, it is not in the dataset. Maybe this means I have
to put
it in the dataset with no other data? I hope not. Thanks.