Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ignore Symbols in a formula?

(Hopefully my last question today.)

so i have a formula similiar to below. I need to have ( ) in the sentence as
well as other possible symbols, that I dont want as part of the formula. How
do I exclude?
[A1]
= "I want to purchase " &C2& " candy bars (Blue ones) from the grocery store"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

dj,

Since the parentheses are in a text string, they'll just appear like any other text. Your
formula should work.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...
"dj479794" wrote in message
(Hopefully my last question today.)

so i have a formula similiar to below. I need to have ( ) in the sentence as
well as other possible symbols, that I dont want as part of the formula. How
do I exclude?
[A1]
= "I want to purchase " &C2& " candy bars (Blue ones) from the grocery store"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Earl,

Hhhhmmm. Maybe it is that I have "quotation marks" in my setence as well.
Maybe those need to be excluded? I also have brackets [ ]. Sounds weird, but
is it a legal statement and you know how lawyers are about having the exact
statement.

"dj479794" wrote in message
(Hopefully my last question today.)

so i have a formula similiar to below. I need to have ( ) in the sentence as
well as other possible symbols, that I dont want as part of the formula. How
do I exclude?
[A1]
= "I want to purchase " &C2& " candy bars (Blue ones) from the grocery store"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The parenthesis and brackets, when placed inside of quotation marks, will not
have any ill effects on your formula. They will be treated as part of the
text string. However, if you want to include double-quotes in your text
string, you'll need to do 2 of them. For example:

="This sentence contains ""quotes"""

Note that the use of 2 consecutive double-quotes tells excel to treat them
as a single symbol rather than an indicator of the beginning or end of a text
string.

HTH,
Elkar

"dj479794" wrote in message
(Hopefully my last question today.)

so i have a formula similiar to below. I need to have ( ) in the sentence as
well as other possible symbols, that I dont want as part of the formula. How
do I exclude?
[A1]
= "I want to purchase " &C2& " candy bars (Blue ones) from the grocery store"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks! Got it to work. Side question if I have the same text string formula.
and I insert a number. How do I get the number to be formated with the comma
for "thousands"

= "I want to purchase " &C2& " candy bars (Blue ones) from the grocery store"
"Elkar" wrote:

"I want to purchase " 10,000 " candy bars (Blue ones) from the grocery store"

I tried TEXT(A1,#,###) and doesnt work
Also, I want to put only a couple of words in bold font?.

"dj479794" wrote in message
(Hopefully my last question today.)

so i have a formula similiar to below. I need to have ( ) in the sentence as
well as other possible symbols, that I dont want as part of the formula. How
do I exclude?
[A1]
= "I want to purchase " &C2& " candy bars (Blue ones) from the grocery store"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the TEXT function. Like this:

"I want to purchase " &TEXT(C2,"#,##0")& " candy bars (Blue ones) from the
grocery store"

HTH,
Elkar