Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula for budgets

I am trying to create a formula that will reference my daily budget sheet. I
would like the formula to add up all the categories individually. Or in
other words, taking all the costs that are a part of one category and placing
them into my monthly budget sheet.

For example: Lets say I have four columns: A:DATE, B:DESCRIPTION, C:COST,
and D:CATEGORY. For all the DINING OUT costs, which are labeled with a
"dining out category", I want them to automatically sum up into my Monthly
budget sheet in the corresponding cell "DINING OUT" actual costs.

I would like to do that for all my categories.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
try something like this...
=SUMIF($D$1:$D500,"dining out category",$C$1:$C500)
You would need a formula for each category.
you could sum the sumif formula for a grand total.

Regards
FSt1

"redlights" wrote:

I am trying to create a formula that will reference my daily budget sheet. I
would like the formula to add up all the categories individually. Or in
other words, taking all the costs that are a part of one category and placing
them into my monthly budget sheet.

For example: Lets say I have four columns: A:DATE, B:DESCRIPTION, C:COST,
and D:CATEGORY. For all the DINING OUT costs, which are labeled with a
"dining out category", I want them to automatically sum up into my Monthly
budget sheet in the corresponding cell "DINING OUT" actual costs.

I would like to do that for all my categories.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well that is close, but it is still adding up all the numbers. I want it to
only add up the things that are in their individual categories. For
instance, below I have a portion of my spendings. When applied to all of my
spending, I want a formula that I can apply to each category that says: IF
column E has Apartment listed as the category, then place its cost in that
cell. This way i can add up all the costs for apartment. The trouble is how
to do that so when I place each of the categories when uploading my daily
spending, they automatically add up in the correct field:

6/8/07 DEPOSIT 250 1497.52
6/8/07 WITHDRAWL -40 1457.52
6/6/07 TARGET -88.31 969.05 APARTMENT
6/6/07 STARBUCKS -4.06 964.99 DRINK/FOOD
6/5/07 ATM Withdrawl -62 1128.8
6/5/07 JCPENNEY STORE -43.98 1084.82 CLOTHING
6/5/07 LOWERY'S -25.46 1059.36 BEER/WINE/OTHER
6/5/07 ATM FEE -2 1057.36
6/4/07 AMERICAN EXPRESS -100 1308.75 CREDIT CARD
6/4/07 CHECKCARD 0601 MTA MVM*40TH ST./LOWERY 1232.75 BEER/WINE/OTHER
6/4/07 GREAT DRAGON RESTAURANT -23.45 1209.3 DINING OUT
6/4/07 THE COURTYARD BAR -18.5 1190.8 BEER/WINE/OTHER
6/1/07 Rent -625 1472.81 RENT
6/1/07 WITHDRAWL -60 1412.81
6/1/07 STARBUCKS -4.06 1408.75 DRINK/FOOD
5/31/07 DEPOSIT 858.07 2069.16
5/31/07 Target -121.35 2097.81 APARTMENT
5/30/07 Commerce Bank Credit Card -100 1211.09 CREDIT CARD

So the formula would help add up all the apartment costs, credit card costs,
and so on INDIVIDUALLY.

Example: APARTMENT= $$$, DRINK/FOOD=$$$... and so on. But i want it to be
so when i add new costs, they are automatically updated once I place the
category in the corresponding row in colum E.