Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep saving corrupt Excel files

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why Excel files keep gettign
corrupted. I have a user who seems to be saving Excel files and then they are
getting corrupted.

Is there anything I should be checking for? I have tested a product online
which seems to work well in recovering a corrupted file as Microsoft
sometimes cannot repair it.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Luke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Luke,

One possibility is that users are opening the workbook file with Word, then saving it. But
that wouldn't, I'm sure, be recoverable by anything. The problem is that Word, although
issuing a warning, saves the Word file with the .xls extension, overwriting the original
file. You don't believe me -- but it does, and has done so for several versions of Word
through 2003 (although I don't know about 2007).

Open Office has been able to fix corrupted Excel files. It's a free download.
www.openoffice.com
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...