Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening an Excel file in a DIFFERENT process clicking on its SHORT

Hello,

Question is in the title ;-)

I need every single user of my file to open it in A DIFFERENT PROCESS only
by clicking on the shortcut, and without having to open excel separately and
then open the file from the instanced process...

Users will work on different computers, on Excel 2002 SP3.

Is there a VBA code or an option I can switch to enable that in Excel ??

I already know how to do it with a VBS file, but running scripts is not
authorized on the computers users will work with.

Maybe I can add a "\Excel.exe -..." parameter in the properties of the Excel
file to make it ?

Thx!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This may work...

You can change this setting:
Tools|Options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

Be aware that one side effect of having this setting checked is sometimes you
can't open a file by double clicking on it in explorer. (toggle it back and
that should be fixed.)

This shows up for workbooks that have spaces in their name or path:
c:\my documents\excel\testworkbook.xls
or
c:\test of workbook2.xls

Cannot find C:\my, then more "Cannot find ..." messages.

It's more trouble than it's worth (for me, anyway).

If I want a second instance of excel, I'll just use:
windows start button|run
excel
then file|Open to open my file.

But I rarely want separate instances of excel.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening an Excel file in a DIFFERENT process clicking on its S

hello, thx for the answer but i need more advice !

1/ this option (Tools|Options|General tab|Ignore other applications) is
useless because my wbk is linked to RTD applications, so i MUST NOT tick this
function

2/ I know HOW TO open another instance of excel! (cf my first post!) by
clicking excel application shortcut then open...but I already told I dont
wanna use that :)

3/ I guess I need to get the Excel launch parameters list, there must be one
somewhere listing all the start excel suffix parameters...
ex: Excel.exe /Safe to run excel in safe mode

So now I will be looking for this list, do u know where I can find it ??

Thx in advance.

Patachoup wrote:

Hello,

Question is in the title ;-)

I need every single user of my file to open it in A DIFFERENT PROCESS only
by clicking on the shortcut, and without having to open excel separately and
then open the file from the instanced process...

Users will work on different computers, on Excel 2002 SP3.

Is there a VBA code or an option I can switch to enable that in Excel ??

I already know how to do it with a VBS file, but running scripts is not
authorized on the computers users will work with.

Maybe I can add a "\Excel.exe -..." parameter in the properties of the Excel
file to make it ?

Thx!

--

Dave Peterson