Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I insert a check box into a specific cell in Excel?

I want to be able to insert a check box or radio button into a specific cell
so that it is locked into that cell so that if I then sort the date the check
box or radion button moves with its corresponding row. How or can this be
done? If not any other ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I put a checkbox from the Forms toolbar on the worksheet.

I made sure that it fit completely within the row.
I rightclicked on the checkbox
chose Format Control|Properties tab|and made sure that "move but don't size with
cells" was checked.

And as long as I included the columns that held that checkbox, the checkbox
moved with that row when I sorted.

An alternative:

Select the range that would have held the checkboxes.
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings (make it as large as you want)

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

--

Dave Peterson