Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change the position of a pop message

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the position of a pop up
message. I've created a spreadsheet where the instructions appear as pop
messages. If possible I'd like them to appear in the left hand corner of the
screen rather than in the middle of the spreadsheet. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're using the MsgBox function see this:

Type RECT
Left As Long
Top As Long
Right As Long
Bottom As Long
End Type

Public Declare Function UnhookWindowsHookEx Lib "user32" ( _
ByVal hHook As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function GetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias _
"GetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long) _
As Long
Public Declare Function GetCurrentThreadId Lib "kernel32" () As Long
Public Declare Function SetWindowsHookEx Lib "user32" Alias _
"SetWindowsHookExA" (ByVal idHook As Long, ByVal lpfn As Long, _
ByVal hmod As Long, ByVal dwThreadId As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function SetWindowPos Lib "user32" ( _
ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal hWndInsertAfter As Long, _
ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long, ByVal cx As Long, _
ByVal cy As Long, ByVal wFlags As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function GetWindowRect Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd _
As Long, lpRect As RECT) As Long
Public Declare Function GetActiveWindow Lib "user32" () As Long
Public Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" _
(ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long

Public Const GWL_HINSTANCE = (-6)
Public Const SWP_NOSIZE = &H1
Public Const SWP_NOZORDER = &H4
Public Const SWP_NOACTIVATE = &H10
Public Const HCBT_ACTIVATE = 5
Public Const WH_CBT = 5
Public hHook As Long
Public hXL As Long

''Must be run from Excel to work, not the VBE.
Sub ShowMsgBox()
Dim hInst As Long
Dim Thread As Long
hXL = FindWindow("XLMAIN", Application.Caption)
hInst = GetWindowLong(hXL, GWL_HINSTANCE)
Thread = GetCurrentThreadId()
hHook = SetWindowsHookEx(WH_CBT, AddressOf WinProc, hInst, Thread)
MsgBox "This message box has been positioned to the top left of Excel's
window."
End Sub

Function WinProc(ByVal lMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, _
ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
Dim rectXL As RECT, rectMsg As RECT
Dim x As Long, y As Long
Dim hMsgbox As Long

If lMsg = HCBT_ACTIVATE Then
hMsgbox = GetActiveWindow
GetWindowRect hXL, rectXL
GetWindowRect wParam, rectMsg
x = rectXL.Left + 10
y = rectXL.Top + 10
SetWindowPos wParam, 0, x, y, 0, 0, _
SWP_NOSIZE Or SWP_NOZORDER Or SWP_NOACTIVATE
UnhookWindowsHookEx hHook
End If
WinProc = False
End Function

--
Jim
"splodgey" wrote in message
| Does anyone know if it is possible to change the position of a pop up
| message. I've created a spreadsheet where the instructions appear as pop
| messages. If possible I'd like them to appear in the left hand corner of
the
| screen rather than in the middle of the spreadsheet. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim
Thanks very much for this, but could you tell me where the code should be
copied to?