Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Table Field Reordering

I would like to be able to manually reorder the field selections that I see
when selecting a drop down box in a pivot table but I am unable to figure out
how to do this. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Josh,

I would like to be able to manually reorder the field selections that I see
when selecting a drop down box in a pivot table but I am unable to figure
out
how to do this. Thanks.

Drag the page field (drop down box) to either a column or row field. Then
drag items to manually reorder the list. Then drag back to a page field.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried this, and I have the manual option selected, but the top 10 autoshow
is greyed out and I am unable to do any draging of any kind. I cannot figure
out what is stopping me from reordering the list.

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

Hi Josh,

I would like to be able to manually reorder the field selections that I see
when selecting a drop down box in a pivot table but I am unable to figure
out
how to do this. Thanks.

Drag the page field (drop down box) to either a column or row field. Then
drag items to manually reorder the list. Then drag back to a page field.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Josh,

It sounds like you are in Advanced Settings for Field Options. Not sure that
we are on the same wavelength here. I hope that I understand your original
question, if not please try to provide more detail and post again.

What I meant was, in the pivot table displayed on the worksheet you can
select a field heading and drag it to a new place on the pivot table. You
will see the insertion point change to a shaded outline as you drag the
field heading around the worksheet.

Drag a field heading to the left side of the pivot table to set that field
as a row field. Now you should be able to see all the values for that field.

On the displayed pivot table, you can select a field item and drag it above
another field item to change the order of the displayed items. This new
ordering persists when you drag the field heading to the top of the pivot
table so that it becomes a page field.

There is no need to open any dialog boxes.

Ed Ferrero

I tried this, and I have the manual option selected, but the top 10
autoshow
is greyed out and I am unable to do any draging of any kind. I cannot
figure
out what is stopping me from reordering the list.

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

Hi Josh,

I would like to be able to manually reorder the field selections that I
see
when selecting a drop down box in a pivot table but I am unable to
figure
out
how to do this. Thanks.

Drag the page field (drop down box) to either a column or row field. Then
drag items to manually reorder the list. Then drag back to a page field.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ed, no I don't think we are on the same wavelength. What I am trying to
do is reorder the list that appears in the drop down box when selecting one
of the pivot table row fields. Basically I would like to put the most common
selections near that top. I am sorry for any confusion but I really
appreciate you trying to help.

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

[...]

Hi Josh,