Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Getting rid of thousands of rows Excel 2002

Hi
I have an excel 2002 spreadsheet set up by someone else which contains
thousands (likely the max) of rows. I am trying to merge into word using
this sheet and it takes forever and causes problems editing the merge. How
can I remove the extra rows? I have seen suggestions to select, delete rows
and save the document but the rows are not removed. It is extremely
irritating!!!!

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you mean you have lots of blank rows on your recipient list in Word?

I get that problem somtimes, its because Excel gets confused about where the
true end of the data is if you once had something in a cell and then deleted
it.

A solution can be found he
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6135485.html

but personally, I just put in only the correct amount of paper/ labels and
then just cancel the print job once it starts merging the blank rows. (lazy i
know).

Also, you could cut and paste the just the data you need onto a brand new
sheet which hasnt got problem.

hope that helps.

"Northern Lights" wrote:

Hi
I have an excel 2002 spreadsheet set up by someone else which contains
thousands (likely the max) of rows. I am trying to merge into word using
this sheet and it takes forever and causes problems editing the merge. How
can I remove the extra rows? I have seen suggestions to select, delete rows
and save the document but the rows are not removed. It is extremely
irritating!!!!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If the data is in a solid block you can just select it, excluding the blank
rows below, and copy and paste it into Word.

If you are trying to remove some of the rows and they are scattered
throughout the data you will need to tell us how you identify the rows you
don't want.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Northern Lights" wrote:

Hi
I have an excel 2002 spreadsheet set up by someone else which contains
thousands (likely the max) of rows. I am trying to merge into word using
this sheet and it takes forever and causes problems editing the merge. How
can I remove the extra rows? I have seen suggestions to select, delete rows
and save the document but the rows are not removed. It is extremely
irritating!!!!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I ran the macro and while the thousands of rows are still there, when I run
the merge it no longer spends (what seems like) hours looking for data that
doesn't exist in the thousands of rows.

Thank you! You have made my work a lot easier.