Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TBA TBA is offline

Default Identifying duplicate rows

I am having great difficulty trying to identify duplicates on a database that
I have. The database has about 2000 entries (2000 different rows) of numeric
and non-numeric data (names and addresses etc.) organised into 30 columns.
The data also does not have any unique identifiers within it.

All i need to do is identify duplicate rows but in excel this seems very
hard to do. I can only put an advanced filter and duplicates will be deleted
by the unique records only function. I can't write a formula because the data
is non-numeric.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The commercial add-in "XL Companion" from yours truly can...
Highlight and move all duplicate rows to the bottom of the sheet -or-
Remove all duplicate rows -or-
Clear all duplicate rows
(all done on a copy of the original sheet)

Operates on the selection (which does not have to be contiguous).
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"TBA"
wrote in message
I am having great difficulty trying to identify duplicates on a database that
I have. The database has about 2000 entries (2000 different rows) of numeric
and non-numeric data (names and addresses etc.) organised into 30 columns.
The data also does not have any unique identifiers within it.

All i need to do is identify duplicate rows but in excel this seems very
hard to do. I can only put an advanced filter and duplicates will be deleted
by the unique records only function. I can't write a formula because the data
is non-numeric.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way...Use Advanced Filter to filter unique records in-place.
Mark these rows by filling down e.g. "X" next to the data.
Now Auto-filter the "X" column for (blanks) to show duplicates.