Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Countif cells are beings with "*"

Excel 2000. I need to count when cell in column C beings with marker "*".
Column C comprises of cells with numberic, text & cells with number but
marked with "*". I have used =Countif(C1:C100,"*") however results show that
formula counted even text cells.

How do I restrict the count to cells marked with "*" ? I have tried adding
a tilde (~) before the character, as what some writeup advise. But it still
didn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=COUNTIF(C1:C100, "~**) two asterisks

One for the wildcard and one for the asterisk to find.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP