Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "" + Number = #VALUE!

I have an equation in A1:

=if(H1<45,"",H1)

This is fine, if H1 is less than 45, then A1 stays blank. I don't want
it to have a zero, because that would show up in a plot, it should be
blank. But, in cell B1, I want the equation:

=10+A1

This works fine if A1 has a value (<45), but it won't work if A1 has
"" in it. I want:

10 + "" = 10

not:
10 + "" = #VALUE!

Any suggestions without making "" be a zero?

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Best to treat it with an if/then
If you want it to be A1+10, then do
=if(isblank(A1),10,A1+10)

"Donny" wrote:

I have an equation in A1:

=if(H1<45,"",H1)

This is fine, if H1 is less than 45, then A1 stays blank. I don't want
it to have a zero, because that would show up in a plot, it should be
blank. But, in cell B1, I want the equation:

=10+A1

This works fine if A1 has a value (<45), but it won't work if A1 has
"" in it. I want:

10 + "" = 10

not:
10 + "" = #VALUE!

Any suggestions without making "" be a zero?

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure that your "" doesn't get treated as zero in a plot the same way
that a zero is? In general, "" cells are treated as zeros, so to get the
plot to ignore it the recommendation is to replace "" in your formula by
NA().
--
David Biddulph